Windows media centre problem

User-7BF0BA46-9383-43F9-A74EB865DFA586D5 18:42 21 Aug 2006

Have a problem with my Windows Media centre and need to probably need to repair the installation - unfortunatley the cd rom has a crack in it - flipin well annoyed as its the first time I have looked at it since buying the pc.

JUst in case problem can be answered without the need to repair.

Symptoms are when opening media centre, going to live tv - error message says - temporary hard disc problem, close media centre and start again. It still fails to open live tv - and repeats the error message. Have closed down the pc and re booted many times, same problem.

Other problem which may or may not be associated is I would like to partition the drive - only got 1 big partition, and I have found that if I save all my work to a separate partition, when the need arises to re -insatll windows, them my documents are not affected. When opeing up partition manager it tell me I cannot have another partition - well everything is greyed out and cannot be used.

If problem not easily resolved then how do I get areplacement OS disc _I have originals and cert of authenticity (which is stuck on the PC (OEM)

Hope someone can help, thanks in anticipation

Bomberboy1943 19:00 21 Aug 2006

When Mine crashed I took it to my Loocal Repair shop wnd he put it on for me at a cost of £30 + £60 for the disk I doubt if you would get a replacement with the same registration no

Thanks, but at that sort of price I could buy another copy of the OS and install myself.

Having already paid for the OS, thats money I am not going to spend - will go to Linux - I find it hard to believe that I cannot get a replacement cd from MS.

Bomberboy1943 20:42 23 Aug 2006

a new copy would cost in the region of £100+ you could try microsoft but there maybe a charge

thanks, but paying again goes against the grain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?