Windows ME will not close

twitcher 15:19 30 May 2004

A friend of mine has asked me for advice, but I’m afraid I don’t know the answer. He has a Compaq Presario running Windows ME and has had difficulty closing down Windows. This is an extract from the email he sent me:-

“When trying to close down I have received the following error messages and wondered if you have any solutions.

"svcpack has caused an error in (unknown)
svcpack will now close" - ['close' button]

The above message has appeared only once.

"ncase Alert"

"ncase removed without consent

1. * reinstall ncase

2. * leave uninstalled

3. * remind later"

The last message has appeared several times. I usually choose option 1 and it seems to go through some system checking routine and then invites me to click ok.

At the moment the only way to close down is to do Ctl - Alt -Del and choose 'Shut-down.' ”

As I have never encountered any of these problems I have no idea what advice to give. Has anybody any idea what is going wrong?

Graham ® 15:28 30 May 2004

Could be an antivirus program is set to scan on shutdown. Turn off any antivirus and see if it makes any difference.

VoG II 15:30 30 May 2004

nCase is spyware click here

Graham ® 15:34 30 May 2004

And here click here

VoG II 15:39 30 May 2004

So they need Ad-aware click here Spybot click here and CWShredder click here

Graham ® 15:51 30 May 2004

I get the impression we should be looking for malware first. A large proportion of problems are turning out to be caused by some nasty or other.

My neighbours' son downloaded Messenger, and immediately got the CoolWebsearch hi-jacker.

twitcher 18:59 30 May 2004

Many thanks everybody. I'll pass on your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?