Windows ME CD

  mikeben121 22:50 20 May 2007

A friend has an old Sony Vaio laptop which was supplied with Windows ME. I think with 64MB RAM it would have been sloooow. Then some muppet put XP on there. The disc never stops paging!

Anyone know of somewhere to get a Windows ME disc (the activation key is on the machine). (Same muppet lost the discs!)

  Forum Editor 23:03 20 May 2007

just put in some more RAM?

Win XP is a far better operating system.

  Totally-braindead 23:10 20 May 2007

FE has a good idea their depending on what it costs XP is an excellent operating system. But the processor would have to be a reasonable speed.

Alternatively Ebay for the Windows ME or try here click here

  mikeben121 23:10 20 May 2007

basically money. It was my intention to look at more RAM as well but I can't remember the minimum for XP. Also only has a 10GB HDD so keeping the OS footprint low is important.

Anyhow its a challenge!

  mikeben121 23:12 20 May 2007

Totally-braindead - I guess since its a legit copy I don't need to be too worried about the legitimacy of the CD. In fact I am fairly certain the XP isn't legal which is another reason to restore ME.

  woodchip 23:13 20 May 2007

The Hard Drive is the Problem it's too slow, it will be a 4200 rpm only, more ram would help but it needs a 7200 rpm drive to get the most from the setup you have

  Totally-braindead 23:18 20 May 2007

mikeben121 as long as you have the original windows code which should be stuck on the PC then any ME disk will do, you could even get a copy and just use the proper licence code but you will probably need to get the proper computer drivers for ME.
Don't know anyone that has ME and I personally hated it, I thought Win98 SE was far more stable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?