Windows Live Family Safety Stops Internet Access

LottOzz 19:11 25 Sep 2008

I tried uninstalling (with CCleaner) Windows Live Family Safety as it wasn't used and I was having a tidy up, and then found that I couldn't get onto the internet. After a LOT of messing about I realised that a residual element of Family Safety was preventing access to the internet. Msg - family safety is disabled, run as administrator, will not allow browsing internet (or somehting like that) I have tried reinstalling it and then enabling it, but can not do this offline, and cannot get online to enable it....... How do I get rid of this, how do I change settings on computer, how do I make the laptop allow the router to connect to the internet.....
No problems with router (been through that, reset it, fine with other laptop and desktop)
No problems with internet connection (been through that, online now !! :))
No problems with network adaptor on laptop (been through that, updated and reinstalled)
Connection says Access : Local Only (so laptop talking to router)
Internet Explorer diagnosis no help
Internet Explorer says ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#
Run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP

LottOzz 21:07 25 Sep 2008

err I think so, how would i know? I ran the onelive clean up that I have seen recommended, and it made no difference so i reinstalled family safety to try and alter some settings, but couldn't get anything to work....

LottOzz 21:13 25 Sep 2008

By the way the actual message is "the Family Safety service has been disabled. Please ask the administrator for this computer to enable it. Until that's done, you will not be able to browse the Internet."

LottOzz 21:39 25 Sep 2008

"Windows cannot find "service.msc". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

terry_nyorks 12:09 13 Oct 2008

Having had the same problem (XP PRO, SP2, IE7, NORTON 360) the only way I could get out – given that there was no working Internet Explorer - was to uninstall & remove the product, and make sure the service wasn’t running. When deleting files make sure the download folder stuff is removed (some of which could only be deleted at Administrator level) -..\windows\softwaredistribution\download\4e58ceaf8d80a1c656c505c013bd54\fssclient.cab).

The software came as part of an automatic MS upgrade “Windows Live OneCare”.

setecio 12:40 13 Oct 2008

This reminds me of the ZoneAlarm issue a few months ago when an update blocked internet access. An udate was issued a few days later, but as no internet access was available, people couldn't download the update. The workaround (to allow access to download the update) was to lower the Internet Zone security setting from high to medium. Might be worth trying a similar setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)