Windows installer not working

taandca 12:09 18 Oct 2008

Can't install any downloads etc. as the windows installer says it has a problem. Any help welcomed

provider 2 12:34 18 Oct 2008

This could be caused by a number of things including some sort of malware. Have you tried running your anti-spyware, anti-malware programs and anti-virus?

Failing that here`s what Ms Community Solutions has to say about it: click here

taandca 18:48 19 Oct 2008

Thanks for your help. Just as you suggested in your link, the problem seems to have been caused by a failed download of Windows service pack 3.
I uninstalled the service pack 3 and it seems to have solved the problem of the Windows installer not working. Now I need to know if I should try and download it again, and what the consequences are of not installing service pack 3. Any thoughts?

provider 2 23:48 19 Oct 2008

XP SP 3 is an important security update and installing it, I would say, is not something to miss out on.

For most users the installation will go without problems but for others there can be difficulties especially if the anti-virus has not been temporarily disabled, the system is AMD based (and has an AMD processor), and/or all open programs have not been exited. There can be a problem with insufficient disc space also.

All of these are covered in some detail if you type XP SP 3 in the site search forum box above.
As a guess, I would say you have an AV that isn`t permitting Windows Installer to change the files that SP 3 has to change ... Norton is known to do this and there is a fix available, but there are probably others that do the same thing.

Have a look at the links given in search forum and these:

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?