Windows freezing, what to try next

Erminiaz 21:01 30 May 2018
Answered

Dear all,

I possess a 1,5 year old mid-range desktop computer with Windows 10. Since several months, it has been suffering freezes (nothing works, mouse doesn't respond, sound and image freeze, can only hard reset) more and more, along with the occasional blue screen of death. At first this only happened randomly while playing games (Sudden Strike 4 and Stellaris, usually during autosaving).

I've tried every step listed here: 1">[click here , including setting "Turn of harddisk after" to "Never" and reinstalling Windows.

But to no avail. The computer now also freezes quite often while browsing or even in Windows Explorer. Strangely, only while playing Sudden Strike 4 (with which it all started) it seems to be quite safe. I'm beginning to fear it to be a hardware problem, but I have no idea which part is at fault, all tests in the aforementioned link result in no problems. Can anyone help me with what to try next?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

1]: [click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 30 May 2018

Not much left to try

run a virus scan,

check your voltages (psu problems)

and temperatures (clean out the PC as fans and heat sinks may be clogged).

Erminiaz 17:58 01 Jun 2018

I've cleaned the computer, but that didn't solve the issue. I've also installed speedfan, but have no idea what to compare the results with. This is what the readings look like, anything to tell from it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 01 Jun 2018

They look OK, havee you run a virus and malware scan?

Erminiaz 21:34 01 Jun 2018
Answer

I have, and it returned absent results.

Archie44 00:10 02 Jun 2018

Try reinstalling windows again or do a repair in windows 10 but back up before you proceed

Archie44 00:11 02 Jun 2018

Tom you havent actully told us hte Ram and the make of the computer or is home build etc

Archie44 00:12 02 Jun 2018

Could it be the graphics card not inserted properly PSU etc

Lovedeep 08:18 13 Jun 2018

Use Linux if Window is freezing. You can also take help support for pc repair services. They can also help you to solve this problem. I had the same problem with window and they solved it through their technical experts.

Lovedeep 08:19 13 Jun 2018

Use Linux if Window is freezing. You can also take help support for pc repair services. They can also help you to solve this problem. I had the same problem with window and they solved it through their technical experts.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?