Windows freezing at start-up

Alien Life Form 01:19 08 Jan 2007

I have recently been having problems with Windows freezing at start-up, to the point where I have to turn my computer off at the plug and start again. The last few times I have had to do this 3/4 times before I can actually log-on.
It happens just after I have selected my user name.
Can any one help?

terryf 14:16 10 Jan 2007

Hidden partition - one where some manufacturers put data and drivers necessary for the system to find out if you have one go to windows explorer>tools>folder options>view and untick hide protected operating system files (accept the warning that comes up) and put a dot into 'Show hidden files and folders'. If you then go to My computer and expand it, if there are any hidden partitions, you will be able to see them. You may wish to reverse this process when you have finished

terryf 14:22 10 Jan 2007

One way of making a backup if you have a second drive is to use a program called Acronis True Image click here|780459617&gclid=CN-7q62F1okCFTYNQgodURPG8w , I saw a thread somewhere on this forum that gave details of a free download of true image 7 click here

Alien Life Form 19:36 13 Jan 2007

So does anyone know how I can do sfc?

terryf 20:02 13 Jan 2007

go to start>run and type sfc /scannow (leave a space after sfc and you will need to put your windows cd in the drive) A window will come up and a progress bar moves slowly, It doesn't tell you whether or not it finds problems, just disappears when it has finished

Alien Life Form 21:07 13 Jan 2007

wee Eddie - How much can I get an external hard drive for? Am a student so am broke

terry f - Followed directions in folder options then opened my computer. All I see is Files stored on this Computer, Hard disk drives etc. Does that mean I don't have a hidden partition? What exactly is a hidden partition.
-See page one of this forum, I can do sfc but having problems cos I don't have an XP CD and i386 folder must be corrupt

TheGnome 12:53 13 Feb 2007

I have recently bought MoviesPlus5, and on reading the manual found that the recommended OS is Win 2000 or XP. Before installing the app I phoned Serif who said that it would also run on Win ME, which is what I have. Well, it doesn't work properly, and I am waiting for a reply from Serif about that. My problem now is that it seems to have screwed something up on my PC. At first I got the dreaded Windows Protection error and after much messing about in safe mode,found the cause - it seems my B's clip packet writing prog was the cause of the problem. I have removed and reinstalled MP5, and B's Clip, separately and together, but every time I reinstall B's Clip, I get the protection error and have to Restore or remove b's Clip in safe mode. I have also removed all traces of B's Clip from the Registry in between times. I'd appreciate it if anyone can shed any light on this, please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

8 digital brands that designed custom typefaces to save millions

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?