Windows freezing at start-up

[DELETED] 01:19 08 Jan 2007

I have recently been having problems with Windows freezing at start-up, to the point where I have to turn my computer off at the plug and start again. The last few times I have had to do this 3/4 times before I can actually log-on.
It happens just after I have selected my user name.
Can any one help?

[DELETED] 00:19 09 Jan 2007

The PC Pitstop system test is not an optimiser; it will simply carry out a test of your system, and can often give a good clue to the cause of problems. Any advice will include the suggestion you use their optimzer software, but there is no compulsion to do so.

[DELETED] 01:21 09 Jan 2007

Ok thanks, will try it.
Just got the following from BitDefender;

C:\SystemVolumeInformation\_restore{012DF12...} Infected with Trojan.Busky.1.Gen
Disinfection failed
Deleted

[DELETED] 07:34 09 Jan 2007
  [DELETED] 16:26 09 Jan 2007

Thanks.
Is the directory it was found in to do with system restore?

[DELETED] 16:34 09 Jan 2007

yes you need to switch off restore and then restart your comp, whilst ever it is in the restore it will return and is the only way to remove it. Unfortunatley you will loose all restore points. when done do another virus scan

wee eddie 16:35 09 Jan 2007

Your occasional noises could be caused by a failing Hard Drive.

[DELETED] 16:48 09 Jan 2007

I agree with wee eddie if you haven't then make a backup doc's etc. did you get results from pcpitstop? if no problems found there then your problem is hardware one.

Your trojan.busky is not a high priority one and doubt it is the cause of your problems.

wee eddie 16:59 09 Jan 2007

If you can find the type of Hard Drive you have. Download "Belarc" for help is finding out.

Navigate to the Manufacturers Site and download their Diagnostic Software. Then run it.

To be honest I have never had to do this but I gather it will indicate if there is a problem and what that problem is. Others should be able to help you interpret the results.

[DELETED] 13:56 10 Jan 2007

sinbads - This is the second time I have had problems with system restore. Should I be worried?
I haven't tried pitstop yet, I will do it today when I get chance

Eddie - How exactly do I backup? I know this sounds stupid but I have never done it. Most stuff on my PC is movie & music files which I have on my ipod $ can get back off if need be

wee eddie 14:02 10 Jan 2007

Make a spare copy of all your files, movies, music, pics & mail onto the External Drive.

That's a Back-up.

If your Hard Drive breaks down. You use your Back-up to restore all those movies and things you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?