Windows Fire wall and Zone Alarm 4 or 5

fullyfitted 19:54 31 Dec 2004

Season’s greetings to all.

I am using XP Home with N A V and Zone Alarm 45_594_000.
I have just installed SP 2 and have had to disable the windows firewall because of problems accessing some sites (i.e. Google) and getting an error message 0x8024402C on the Windows update site.
I have downloaded Zone Alarm 50_590_055 but I seem to remember that when it first came out it was unstable and gave some problems , any one know if this has been resolved or have I got it wrong.
I would appreciate advice as to whether I am adequately protected with Z A 4 or should I go with Z A 5
Many thanks

Technotiger 20:02 31 Dec 2004

Hi, NOT a good idea to run two firewalls - I would strongly advise latest Free Zone Alarm, it is also better than XP's firewall which does not close all Ports. In ZA under Firewall - set Internet Zone to High and Trusted Zone to Med - this will ensure that your pc virtually invisible to the Internet.

g0nvs 20:02 31 Dec 2004

XP Home + SP2 using Zone Alarm 5.5.... no problems at all. Switch off Windows Firewall and use Zone Alarm. Regards..

fullyfitted 20:16 31 Dec 2004

Technotiger and
g0nvs

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful response.
sorry to be a pain but is it necessary to un install ZA4 before installing ZA5 or will it simply go over the top?

Technotiger 20:18 31 Dec 2004

No ....... :-))

Technotiger 20:19 31 Dec 2004

Sorry just read your last Post again - Yes, it will go over the top ....... bit like me really :-))

fullyfitted 20:22 31 Dec 2004

Ok and thanks again,
Have A good new years eve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)