Windows Explorer is trying to act as a server

sea urchin 18:09 28 Apr 2007

Within the last few days my firewall (ZoneAlarm) has started asking permission to allow the above question when I connect to my browser (IE6). Thus far I have denied access, and everything runs normally. I can resolve the problem by telling ZoneAlarm to always disallow the request, but I would like to know why it should be happening? Thanks in anticipation.

jay.p 19:21 28 Apr 2007

not too sure but i have also had the same thing and also deny it with no ill effects.
a server is A computer that delivers information and software to other computers linked by a network and by this definition i will not allow it as it seems to suggest information and or files outward going from my pc which i am sure none of us want.
someone a bit more techy may put me right if i am a bit off track but better safe than sorry.

sea urchin 19:35 28 Apr 2007

Hi Jay.p you have confirmed my thoughts exactly - I have no wish to be "serving out" info to other computers unless I control it. As you say someone with greater technical knowledge than I may know why this is happening.

Kate B 19:46 28 Apr 2007

Have you scanned with all the usual antimalware apps? I suppose it could be the work of a Trojan, but also I've just found this click here which suggests it's something to do with WGA.

Stuartli 19:47 28 Apr 2007

The only item from the many programs, utilities etc on my system I have allowed to act as a server in ZA is Skype.

sea urchin 19:56 28 Apr 2007

Many thanks Kate B and Stuartli. Yes, I've scanned thoroughly and no problems appear. The forum link on WGA is interesting. I think I shall ask ZA to permanently disallow it, and forget about it.

Ray5776 20:04 28 Apr 2007

Block it out now, it is malware and do a clean up of your system.

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?