# From the Start menu, choose Run.
# In the Open field, type sfc /scannow
# Click the OK button.
# Restart the computer when the System File Checker program finishes.
Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows XP:
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.
1. From the Start menu, select Search, and choose Files or Folders.
2. Click the More Advanced Options item and ensure that there is a checkmark beside the Search hidden files and folder option.
3. In the Name field, type ie.inf
4. In the Look in drop-down menu, click C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
5. Click the Search Now button. The correct ie.inf file should be located in the Windows\Inf folder.
6. Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the drop-down menu that appears.
7. Restart the computer when the computer finishes copying files.