WINDOWS EXPLORER ERROR

ADAM-189137 16:58 05 Mar 2005

I HAVE A MESH ATHLON64 DESKTOP RUNNING SERVICE PACK1 (2 NOT INSTALLED BUT OTHER UPDATES ARE).WHEN I TRY TO START VIRTUALLY ANY APP. FROM THE DESKTOP,I GET THE MESSAGE " WINDOWS EXPLORER ERROR-NEEDS TO CLOSE".WHEN I THEN TRY TO REPORT THE ERROR I THEN GET "INTERNET EXPLORER NEEDS TO CLOSE".I CAN DO A SYSTEM RESTORE AND EVERYTHING IS FINE BUT THE NEXT TIME I BOOT UP ,THE PROBLEM RETURNS.I HAVE NORTON ANTIVIRUS,ZONEALARM AND HAVE TRIED RUNNING SPYBOT AND ADAWARE.

Jackcoms 17:33 05 Mar 2005

Why are you shouting at us?

VoG II 17:36 05 Mar 2005

Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked to insert your Windows CD.

ADAM-189137 09:35 10 Mar 2005

Thanks to "VOG" for the advice on this however what was advised did not seem to work after the next reboot.Any other advice?

Chegs ® 10:12 10 Mar 2005

Try the "Repair" option,the problem appears to be a damaged explorer.exe file,and XP is full of "backup" files.I have had a similar experience when I had been customising my taskbar/start button.The C:\Windows\explorer.exe file is different to the "backup" explorer.exe in say the dllcache,so it is being closed by the OS.SFC should fix it,but (I found) it often doesn't.If you can install SP2,it will fix it also as SP2 replaces explorer.exe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?