Windows Explorer Crashes

gplatt2000 20:06 11 Jul 2003

Hi. Please also read my post 'Problems with explicit pop-ups' and 'run32.dll - Virus?Delete?' as I think they may be related to this problem as both have started at the same time. When I am in IE a message sometimes (3 times in last couple of hours) a message saying 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown - send error report?' comes up. I choose send and it says no reason for the error has been found. HOwever, after clicking 'close', the computer freezes for a second ans all windows disappear then reappear, and Windows carries opn as usual. Any help solving this problem much appreciated, thankyou

woodchip 20:20 11 Jul 2003

You have to stop panicking,!!!!! your computer will not blow up what you need to do is have a see if you have any old restore points, as you can go back to these and it may remove your problem.
You could try start with XP disc not a restore disc and when you get to the start choose repair. Vog is the man for XP

gplatt2000 20:39 11 Jul 2003

OK, thankyou. I will probably just restore the computer to 1 week ago if no other answer is found. Is this the best way? Because when I have done this in the past 'installeds' software (the popup stuff) remains?? Thanks once more, Gavin

VoG II 21:36 11 Jul 2003

Try a repair of Internet Explorer click here

sil_ver 21:44 11 Jul 2003

Why would oplatt want to repair IE, would this cause win explorer to crash?

VoG II 21:58 11 Jul 2003

Quite possibly. In XP (and to some extent earlier versions of Windows) Interner Explorer is tied-in very closely with Windows - in fact it is practically impossible by normal means to remove IE from an XP system.

I was also going by "When I am in IE a message sometimes"

which I assumed meant Internet Explorer.

sil_ver 22:01 11 Jul 2003

Does this apply to all flavours of Win's?

woodchip 22:39 11 Jul 2003

No you can remove IE from Win98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts