Windows Easy Transfer

Chitterlow 08:35 29 Mar 2010

Hi. I am preparing to upgrade my XP to Windows 7. Following the Microsoft advice I have used Windows Easy Transfer to put all my files and settings onto an external hard drive. Although it took quite a time it installed an 87Gig file on the drive with a "MIG" extension. Before going any further I thought I would open this file to check what it contained but it will not open and I am being told that the MIG extension is not being recognized. Is this because I'm trying to do it through XP? When I have installed Windows 7 will I be able to open it then?
I can't understand why Windows is not recognizing a file one of it's own programs created.

Taff™ 08:40 29 Mar 2010

The .mig file is a compressed data file and I`m pretty sure nothing is going to read it. It needs to be extracted by the WET in Windows 7.

I would be tempted to manually copy all your documents and other data to the hard drive as well, just in case.

Chitterlow 09:24 29 Mar 2010

Hi Taff, Thanks for your very quick response. Is WET an integral application included with Windows 7?
Chitterlow

The Bard 11:12 29 Mar 2010

Don't worry! I used WET and it worked perfectly. Just sit back and let Windows 7 do the work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?