WINDOWS 98SE UPDATES

Bagpipes 20:33 25 May 2003

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF ALL THE WINDOWS UPDATES CAN BE ORDERED ON CD ROM INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM FROM WINDOWS UPDATE SITE? IF SO WHERE FROM, TELEPHONE NUMBER PLEASE.
THANKS

Terrahawk 23:20 25 May 2003

contact microsoft they may be able to help
click here;en-gb;telephonems

Brian-336451 00:15 26 May 2003

I found out the hard way, but it is considered 'shouting' if you post in CAPITAL letters.

Some people get quite uptight about it (personally I'm at a complete loss as to why . . )so I'll let you know - nicely.

As regards the win98 updates, I must admit to going back to win98se on my laptop, and with a very few exceptions and behind a firewall/virus checker have concluded that the vast majority are not required.

Notable exceptions being Media Player and IE/OE6.

My laptop runs quite sweetly without all the 'add-on' garbage.

Try it and see.

Terrahawk 00:21 26 May 2003

sorry just noticed ive given you a dead link to contact microsoft the number you want is
Microsoft Contact Centre: 0870 60 10 100

Carafaraday 08:54 26 May 2003

Please let us know what Microsoft says. I expect there will be quite a lot of others who would like a CD too it one is available.

Stuartli 10:38 26 May 2003

Would you like to read PC Advisor, a book or a newspaper printed in such a form?

It's a question of good manners and common sense and avoids claims of attention seeking to elicit a response.

dangermouse 12:20 26 May 2003
  Brian-336451 14:47 26 May 2003

Manners are only manners when everyone knows about them. Its not GOOD manners, its just a convention or protocol - ie accepted practice and again only accepted by those that know about it.

No I wouldn't want to read a book or newspaper like that, but if that was normal we wouldn't bat an eyelid. Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's. Its not exactly a small novel when someone posts here is it?

I had no idea when I started on forums (in general) and its OK to say its all explained in so and so helpfile. Who reads them? Especially when its all new and you just want to get in.

I've seen some rather acid comments to people on this forum without explanation. Isn't it more considerate just to explain it rather than the 'ton-of-bricks' I have seen.

I just wanted to tell Bagpipes nicely.

Totally-braindead 14:56 26 May 2003

Enough said I think.

spikeychris 15:06 26 May 2003

Not THAT Brian May, excellent posts >>

Chris

wunup 22:25 27 May 2003

SO NONE OF YOU EVER FORgot to take caps lock off before HAR HAR HAR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)