Windows 98 Start Up Problems

Donna-Marie 10:17 05 Jul 2004

Just a quick question, my Windows 98 Pc sometimes wont start up and when it does it just hangs on the main screen, any ideas what this is?!

I dont want to loose any of my data though :(

Diodorus Siculus 10:27 05 Jul 2004

Could be any of a number of problems... too many programs loading at startup? Not enough memory? Poor drivers?

Anyway, backup data first of all!

click here

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188867

click here

click here

for some guidelines.

Diodorus Siculus 10:29 05 Jul 2004

PS whenever anyone begins with the phrase "just a quick question" I wonder will the answer be as quick! :-)

pj123 12:50 05 Jul 2004

I have been called out 3 times today already to PCs that had the same problem. All 3 responded to a Registry Restore. Give it a try. To do it, switch you computer on and keep tapping the F8 key until you get a menu. Select "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" and press enter.

When you get to the C:\> prompt type in scanreg /restore and press enter. You will get a list of the last five times the computer was started in date order (American date format). Select a date prior to when the problem arose and press enter. Follow the prompts and restart your computer.

Donna-Marie 19:40 05 Jul 2004

It was a case of too much junk on the pc, deleted a few programs and now its fine :)

Thanks for your help guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?