Windows 8 - failure to configure updates.

onthelimit1 08:54 23 May 2014
Answered

Was given a new ASUS All-in-One with windows 8 to setup, update and install 8.1.

Problem – updates download and install, but around 95% of ‘configuring updates’, message pops up that it’s failed and reverting changes.

Things I’ve tried – reset PC to factory settings – same problem. Downloaded the MS fixit tool which found and cured problems – same. Ran through all the stages of the MS sequence for this fault down to trying in clean boot – same.

Windows won’t let me download W8.1 until the W8 has been updated I’ve scoured the internet with no success and just wondering if anyone has seen this snag before I send the PC back as having a possibly corrupt OS.

onthelimit1 08:56 23 May 2014

Forgot to add that initially there were 150 updates. I've tried with just a few selected, but same thin happens.

rdave13 09:26 23 May 2014
Answer

Sometimes an usb peripheral can do this. If it's a touch screen try without a mouse connected.

onthelimit1 09:49 23 May 2014

jock1e - that's the page I've tried. rdave - I did have a mouse plugged in, so removed that and trying again.

George Janis 10:54 23 May 2014

Hi onthelimit1, since you are facing problem in configuring Windows 8 updates on your computer. Try these simple steps that may help you as these steps I discovered from Click4Support experts once when I got stuck in the same situation - • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) • Type command prompt in the search box. • In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator. • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands exactly as they appear. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. • Run Windows Update again.

onthelimit1 11:12 23 May 2014

Thanks George - I had seen that solution when I was strolling around the internet, but updates seem to be working at the mo. Need to wait until they have all completed to be sure,

onthelimit1 08:48 24 May 2014

All 100+ updates installed, and 8.1 downloaded and working OK. Looks as though it must have been the mouse - how odd!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?