Windows 7 upgrade

Eileanbeag 15:41 03 Jan 2010

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and am having problems with a number of programes although I did run the Instalation advisor download and nothing was reported. I find that I cannot return to Vista from the add/remove programme feature; I cannot return Dell Inspiron to Factory settings and System Restore does not work. If I just use the discs that came with the computer will I be able to restore it or is it not possible?

GaT7 18:24 03 Jan 2010

What programs are you having a problem with?

Have you checked the manufacturers' websites for possible updates/patches so their software works in Win7?

Did you install 32 / 64-bit version of Win7? What edition of Win7 is it - Home/Pro/other?

Have you tried installing AND running them in Compatibility Mode for Vista click here?

You can cross-check the problem programs with the official Win7 compatibility list click here. The list is not necessarily conclusive, or up-to-date. There may be other ways to run them, like Compatibility Mode above or XP Mode (latter needs certain criteria to function). G

jamesd1981 18:32 03 Jan 2010

was your vista and windows 7 the same edtion i.e. both 32 or both 64 there are some programs that will run in 7 64 bit even if their 32 but some programs have seperate versions for 32 and 64 if thats the problem try looking for a 64 bit version to download, also i have had a few pieces of hardware that worked with vista 32 but have known compatability issues with windows 7 64 bit, my microsoft lifecam vx-3000 wont work with it, and my tevion usb tv adapter wont work either and in the premium version of windows 7 you dont get a compatabilty mode you dont get that until the pro version or above.

GaT7 18:44 03 Jan 2010

" dont get a compatabilty mode you dont get that until the pro version or above."

jamesd1981, I think you're confusing Compatibility Mode with XP Mode. G

jamesd1981 19:04 03 Jan 2010

i thought it was the same thing crossbow how do you get compatabilty mode in windows 7 premium version ?

Eileanbeag 19:09 03 Jan 2010

Have the right version - i.e., Vista andWindows 7 are both 32 bit. Downloaded Win 7 compatability software and they said no problems. Everything is very slow and I really just want to uninstall Windows 7 but this does not seem possible.

GaT7 19:15 03 Jan 2010

Yes. One gets Compatibility Mode (CM) in older OSes as well - i.e. XP & Vista. You can try it yourself if you have XP/Vista/Win7.

This is CM click here. It runs without the need for creating a virtual PC.

This is XP Mode click here. It runs with the need for creating & using a virtual PC environment. G

GaT7 19:19 03 Jan 2010

Sorry, the above post was for jamesd1981.

Eileanbeag, you said you 'upgraded' to Win7 - was that an upgrade install or a fresh install? If it was the former, the latter is worth a try. Do a thorough backup before attempting though.

"Downloaded Win 7 compatability software and they said no problems." - unfortunately, it's not the most accurate software in the world! G

Eileanbeag 19:23 03 Jan 2010

Just put the disc in and ran it - if that is an upgrade install how do I do fresh install?

GaT7 19:23 03 Jan 2010

click here for a detailed fresh install guide with screenshots.

Don't forget that all important prior backup of your data, emails, photos, music, etc. G

jamesd1981 19:29 03 Jan 2010

cheers crossbow maybe i can get my webcam and tv stick to work in 7 now,
eileanbeag, do you have the original windows vista disk or did it come on a recovery partion ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?