Hot Topics

Windows 7, superantispyware, MSE not updating

awest3 12:30 15 Aug 2015
Answered

Hi, my brothers PC, quite old but running windows 7 ok has developed a problem. First thing he noticed was that Superantispyware would not update (cannot connect to server), next it was windows update more or less the same issue, I checked that the services required for windows update were running bur the Background Intelligent Transfer Service was not and it would not start. All of its dependencies were running ok. Lots of other strange things are happening. He seems to have lost all of the restore points prior to the problem starting. I ran malwarebytes and MSE which found no problems. I then tried to update MSE which tried for a long time but again came up with the cannot connect error. Using the internet is not a problem so I downloaded Emsisoft and ran it, it found a few problems including a high risk Trojan, all were deleted. I tried 'SFC /Scannow' which found some problems but could not fix them. I tried the windows restoration fix from MS but that would not run also 'system update readiness tool' would not run. I'm assuming that some system files have been corrupted but am now at a loss as to what to do to restore them... Any help gratefully received as ever.. Thanks Al

awest3 15:38 15 Aug 2015

Thanks for this, the internet options are ok, set to automatically detect. I'll give the reset option ago as soon as I can. My brother called me today to say that his wife's laptop is starting to show the same symtoms...it appears he sent her some emails he'd received just before this happened originally.. I think this probably points to a virus within the emails.

I'll let you know how I get on.. it maybe a day or so as I brought his desktop home with me and have yet to set it up. Thanks Al

awest3 07:49 17 Aug 2015

Hi, thanks again your solution worked. It appears that lots for the update files were corrupted and the reset option you suggested fixed them. I assume that the other apps use the same files as they all work now as well. Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans