Windows 7 Starter SSD Upgrade

tallboy 11:49 27 Dec 2015

I've just ordered a 120GB SSD to put in my HP Mini that runs Windows 7 Starter Edition. (Hopefully it will make it faster!). Since I don't have the original install disk (it never came with one when new) what's the best way to transfer the OS to the new disk? I have a converter in which I can put the SSD to connect it via one of the USB sockets to 'load' the OS to it and I can make an Image of the C: drive before removing it.

Is there a recommended transfer program that will work OK under the Starter edition of Windows 7? If there is, I could use that.

All ideas welcome. Thanks, tallboy

Forum Editor 12:07 27 Dec 2015

Take a look at this.

rdave13 12:34 27 Dec 2015

That's a good find FE.

Just make sure you have a couple of images of your drive first on another external drive.

Check that AHCI is set, click here . My device manager doesn't mention AHCI just AMD Sata controller which is the same thing.

Use FE's software in the link.

I used Macrium reflect free then had to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to align the partitions correctly.

tallboy 12:57 27 Dec 2015

Many thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll certainly use the AOMEI software. I have already replaced the HDDs in my Desktop & wife's laptop machines, but in both cases I did 'clean' installs of Windows 7 (before upgrading to Windows 10) since I had the original disks. Since I don't have a disk with the Windows 7 Starter edition, I can't do a clean install on the HP Mini - hence I need to migrate rather than clean install.

I'll make sure the BIOS is set to AHCI rdave13 - but thanks for the reminder. Now there's just the little job of getting the HP mini apart to change the disc over. It looks easy on the Youtube video, but probably isn''t! I'll then have to stick with Windows 7 on this machine as the graphics in it aren't supported by Windows 10.

alanrwood 15:43 27 Dec 2015

Try my guide to SSD installation requirements at www.arwcsw.com. It has a few extras concerning running and setting up an SSD. You only need the top 3 documents

tallboy 08:58 10 Jan 2016

Many thanks for the link alanrwood. The SSD arrived yesterday so hopefully sometime this week I'll have time to set it up & install it. I've already (successfully) upgraded the 'C' HDDs on our desktop & laptop PCs, so it shouldn't be too onerous. The biggist problem (for me) will be handling the small parts - my eyesight isn't as good as it was when I was an electronics engineer! (Neither are my fingers!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 10 Jan 2016

Personally I wouldn't rely on windows defender, its better than it was on the older versions of windows but there are much better free antivirus programs such as Avira or Avast.

alanrwood 12:15 10 Jan 2016

Windows defender has frequently been shown as inadequate. Even Microsoft say it gives poor protection although I believe it has improved slightly under Win 10 but don'y quote me on that.

tallboy 23:14 10 Jan 2016

Thanks for the posts. Unfortunately, the Windows 7 Starter Edition on the HP Mini Netbook can't be upgraded to Windows 10 - the Graphics functions in it isn't supported by Windows 10. Of course, the Windows 10 upgrade icon shows up in the task bar; if you click on it, your just get a message telling you that the Netbook can't be upgraded.

I'll locate & note the Windows 7 Starter key before I do the disk swap. The Excel part of Windows 7 Starter edition of Office stopped working some time ago, but the WPS free office-lookalike tools work fine for the number of times I'm likely to use them.

I have Kaspersky Total Security installed as my AV suite (since I have 3 licences). It slows down the PC a bit - but is not a problem if you let it do an AV 'run' when you're not using it.

tallboy 12:02 26 Jan 2016

The SSD arrived and appeared to be damaged, so I had to wait for a replacement - which has now arrived. However, I would like to set it up (at least the OS) before I take the Netbook apart. Is there anyway to do this external to the PC? Looking at alanrwood's SSD set-up process, it would appear that the only way is by swapping the disks over first.

I was hoping to do a bit-by-bit transfer using AOMEI. Obviously, once I take the current HDD out of the Netbook, I can't run it!

I seem to recall some vendors selling SSDs with transfer programs that transfer everything before you take the PC apart, so I guess it can be done. However, when I connect the SSD to the Netbook using my SATA / IDE to USB converter, nothing shows up as its' a totally blank disk with no MBR.

Can someone please advise how to do it. Thanks.

rdave13 12:31 26 Jan 2016

Connected via USB and follow this click here guide

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?