Windows 7 SATA HDD in older PC help

Kev.Ifty 19:42 26 Feb 2014

My MEDION PC has stopped working, I can no longer see video or hear sounds. The CPU fan works, there are lights on the MB and I can feel the HDD running. I have tried the monitor in a different source and it is ok. I have an old PC a Dell that runs VISTA.

Can I connect my Windows 7 HDD (both SATA) from my MEDION to my DELL?

I recon it aint so simple.

Thanks

xania 10:29 27 Feb 2014

If you don't have any SATA ports on your Dell PC, you will need to buy a SATA converter

click">http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sata-to-ide-convertor-a11az.">click here SATA drive will have the drivers for the Medion but Windows 7 should be able to power up and install your Dell drivers, but this approach wil result in a slower OS and could be even more of a problem if you then want to move the HHD back to the Medion.

A better alternative would be to use an external caddy to connect the Medion HHD via USB to the Dell to download any data you need

click here

Your

Kev.Ifty 08:51 28 Feb 2014

Hey up Jock1e and xania thank you for your answers. Jock1e My Medion does not have a separate video card, it is on board. I was thinking of trying a video card in one of the pci slots but, thought I might be throwing good money after bad! Maybe a cheap one from ebay is it worth a try?

xania thanks mate for your reply. Both computers are SATA. I put my Medion HDD in the DELL and it don't work. It just comes up with the windows disc check thing and then says cant resolve the problem.

What I would like is to get my stuff off of the Medion (windows 7) HDD. But it seems if Windows has been loaded on a certain original PC configuration one cannot change Mother Boards etc?

Any tips?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4