Windows 7 not booting from disc

Chele1501 16:39 21 Oct 2016

The screen on my laptop broke 2 years ago and been sat on a shelf! Recently changed the screen myself, computer wouldn't boot, put windows 7 disc in to boot from disc. It says loading windows files. Then it says starting Windows with the windows logo stays for about three minutes then the screen goes black with the mouse on screen and it does nothing else!

xania 16:57 21 Oct 2016

One correction to start. Your Disc will not allow you to boot directly into Windows - it will install Windows on your HHD. The first part of this is reading a number of files into RAM However, for some reason this is not working, so I wonder if the problem is damaged RAM, which was why the laptop would not boot in the first place. Are you getting any BIOS beeps?

Chele1501 18:35 21 Oct 2016

No beeps I've only used f2 and others when I was in bios to change the way it started! Could it be by disc or more fatal?

Jollyjohn 19:38 21 Oct 2016

What happens if you connect an external monitor, do you get a desktop? Suspect screen connections after the replacement.

Chele1501 13:21 22 Oct 2016

I don't have another monitor to try, I have a desktop computer but it's one with all the hard drive etc built into the screen. So I don't know how to connect the laptop to that?

Jollyjohn 16:37 22 Oct 2016

Hmmmm.... A bit tricky. We don't know what happened to your laptop 2 years ago, was it only the screen that broke?

I suggested an external monitor to see if laptop was continuing to boot and it was simply the screen at fault. Try tapping F8 as it tries to start and see if safe mode works.

Chele1501 11:51 23 Oct 2016

I don't have another monitor to try, I have a desktop computer but it's one with all the hard drive etc built into the screen. So I don't know how to connect the laptop to that?

Chele1501 11:51 23 Oct 2016

Ok I will try that

lotvic 13:11 23 Oct 2016

Could you use your TV as a monitor?

Chele1501 18:47 23 Oct 2016

That is what I'm going to try but my laptop doesn't have hdmi, so need to get a cable!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connectés compatibles avec Google Home (2019)