Windows 7 Infinite Crash Loop

staryynights 14:25 20 Apr 2017

Hello there internet peeps,

Ok, so, possibly a simple problem. Windows 7 wont boot. Its stuck in one of those interminable loops which i just can't resolve. When I try to log on i get a windows error recovery message saying that I have damaged or incorrectly configured windows files and get offered a chance to launch start-up recovery (which leads to loading bars, a black screen and ultimately an unresolved problem) which recovers nothing and refers me to the manufacturer's start-up recovery which also does exactly nothing. The second option is to start windows normally. This option just leads to windows almost getting to the log-on screen but then restarting and taking you back to the error message I mentioned earlier.

The background to this is that about a year ago the charger to the laptop broke. No problems like this before then. Took me about a year to replace it. When I did, it worked fine for about a minute then I get this blue message (attached) which I don't get anymore. I've installed Ubuntu on a thumb drive and tried to access it that way but i get a similar message (attached) that I dont really understand.

The goal is to gain access to the hard drive to recover some files and then format so I never have to look at windows again. If i can do this by by passing windows entirely all the better. If anyone could tell me the quickest way to do this or a description of the problem in a way that I can understand I would be most grateful. Puppies and kittens (in the form of a digital double thumbs up) for workable solutions.

Edit: Tried to upload the error messages I received but the site wouldn't let me (or I'm too slow to work out how!!)

Thanks!!Ubuntu error message

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 20 Apr 2017

Unfortunately we can't see the error message but loading a linux disto from CD or USb is usually the easiest way to retrieve files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple