Windows 7 Desktop PC 500GB Hard drive space being used.

Cumano 00:16 08 Dec 2014
Answered

For over two weeks the HD of my PC has used 40gb of space. Considering that I have not done any downloads other than updates for Windows O.S. and Adobe Apps. I don't know what is using it. Can anyone help ?

onthelimit1 08:33 08 Dec 2014

It may be backups taking up the space. Run WinDirStat to see what's taking up the space.

Cumano 11:26 09 Dec 2014

From Cumano, to Onthelimit1, I've tried to download WinDirStat.exe from 3 download sites, but, for some reason it just will not download. Thank you for your help.

john bunyan 13:12 09 Dec 2014

Try Treesize (free) see:

Treesize.

I would put my money on hidden restore points. For a start you can see how many there are and removin all but the latest 2 by using CCleaner (I assume you use it to clean temp internet files?) Here is a link if you do not have it (The free version is fine) :

CCleaner

In CCleaner, Tools, System restore - select and remove the older ones.

You can set a limit on the % space allocated to system restore - come back if you need further info.

Cumano 08:59 10 Dec 2014

From Cumano to John Bunyan, I downloaded CCleaner and used it as you suggested. I have now regained 31gb of HD space, but I can't find out where to set System Restore limit. Thank You for help, it's very much appreciated.

john bunyan 10:04 10 Dec 2014
Answer

Cumano

Assuming your HDD is not partitioned, I would set the amount of space allocated to system restore to about 12%. To do so, Click on start; click on computer; right click on Properties; click on System protection; click on tab "System Protection"; click on -Highlight - C: drive; click on configure; in next screen tick the top option "Restore system settings" ; further down there is a slider where you can set the %.(it will tell you the current usage). For info my current usage is 9% with a limit of 12%. I have about 3 or 4 restore points. Hope it works ok, do tick if so.

john bunyan 10:12 10 Dec 2014

PS in another thread you asked about creating a restore point; Windows does this automatically from time to time and at update times. I only do a manual restore point before installing a programme I may wish to uninstall quickly, or perhaps after a clean up after a malware or similar attack, as there is a danger of an unnoticed "infection" being kept in an automatic restore point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A9 review: Hands-on

Can the Huawei P20 Pro really replace a digital SLR?

Surface Laptop 2 vs MacBook Pro

Samsung Galaxy S9 vs Sony Xperia XZ3