windows 7 dell inspiron laptop painfully slow- hel

SANAP 22:13 28 Feb 2019

An elderly friend has asked me to check their dell laptop and I noticed on first boot up its painfully slow takes ages and very little software on it. Once booted still very slow, ie opening chrome or ccleaner!!

Any easy fixes? Its a dell with no disc. and out of guarantee.

KEITH 1955 23:00 28 Feb 2019

one thing that slows any pc boot up is items in start up menu type msconfig in search box and look at start up items , untick everything except Realtek sound card items and any anti virus items.

also check for ticked items for software no longer installed as windows will HANG a long time looking for a program that is not on the pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:15 01 Mar 2019

It also probably came with a lot of unwanted software use PC decrapifier to clean it out.

SANAP 13:57 01 Mar 2019

Its raining so indoors, had a good look at the laptop and when I booted up today I got a message "Libumajin.dll not found" I just clicked ok and it still booted. I then did all the above checks. It has AVAST on it so removed that, it also has somethingc called dell datasafe that is used to fix a big fult ie I think it does a factory reset but I think it runs all the time.

Looking for that dll file but its a nightmare. will try that decrafier as well. I have an old pc with win 7 pro and that might have that dll. I should add everywhere I go to find it I get warnings?

any ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 01 Mar 2019

could be missing or unregistered.

from a command prompt(admin) or powershell (admin)

run sfc /scannow

windows will scan for and replace missing or corrupt files.

if that doesn't work then try registering the file

1. Type the following command: regsvr32 /u libumajin.dll.
  2. Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
  3. Type the following command: regsvr32 /i libumajin.dll.
  4. Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
  5. Close the command prompt window.
  6. Restart.
  SANAP 09:25 02 Mar 2019

thanks again, I did all the bits I could remember, disk cleanup, defragment, uninstalled anti virus and re-installed, used ccleaner, cleanmaster, then disabled lots of start ups, got rid of that file message, tweaked the bios, turned something off!! I tried your idea but system could not find file. I updated chrome to 64 bit version. And I found that laptop is 7 years old so DELL have decided that's lasted long enough and MS have decided Win 7 will end jan 2020. Its slightly better but not by a lot. I would think next step would be a factory reset ie a clean start. Cant do full install as no disk came with system. At least I learned a few bits that may come in useful.

KEITH 1955 09:48 02 Mar 2019

Look in folders in your list of programs , if you have a recovery program you need a disc to reset to factory settings. If you not sure what you dell pc calls a factory reset program look in add/remove it might give you a clue to its proper name to help you find it

KEITH 1955 09:49 02 Mar 2019

BIG ERROR IT SHOULD SAY DONT NEED A DISC FOR FACTORY SETTINGS

SANAP 14:49 02 Mar 2019

Apparently the laptop has this dell data safe bacup thingy and that is what is used to do a factory reset. I dont I will be allowed to try it!!

lotvic 15:29 02 Mar 2019

"The programs Dell Stage, Dell MusicStage and Palco Dell have been observed as installing specific variations of libumajin.dll Typical file path: C:\Program Files\dell stage\dell stage\libumajin.dll" shouldiblockit.com click here

Dell support. If needed you can download and create a USB recovery drive to reinstall original OS click here

Dell has excellent DIY Support
Dell product support click here

Identify your Dell, Service tag/Express service code click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Nvidia’s Gaugan tech turns simple colour blocks into realistic landscapes

New AirPods 2 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique