Windows 7 backup and hibernate

stileguru 18:51 21 Jul 2014

Machine Dell XPS17 laptop. Win 7 64 bit. Approx 2 months ago, started finding windows backup no longer worked. It failed after approx 12% with message "cannot find specified file" Error 80070002. Also, hibernate no longer worked. Five seconds after hibernate activated, it returned to the desktop. The only thing I can think caused it was a disk cleanup routine done in early May.

Searching forums has failed to find a solution, until today. Found a thread suggesting I try assigning a drive letter to the recovery partition. Did this by assigning Z:, and it worked, much to my surprise. A concern I now have is, will this compromise any factory reset I attempt in future? Obviously it is now visible in windows explorer and vulnerable to accidental alteration. I'm also curious to know why assigning a drive letter to a previously hidden partition should solve the problems.

john bunyan 20:12 21 Jul 2014

It would be better and safer to back up on another drive, such as a USB drive. Backing up on your own machine is not as safe. The recovery partition should not be used as it will fill to overflowing, which is why it is a "hidden" one.

stileguru 23:53 21 Jul 2014

Sorry, maybe it wasn't clear. I'm not trying to use the recovery partition for backups. Dell's recovery files are on that, and I don't want to mess with those. In fact I always backup to an external USB hard drive as you suggest. The process of assigning a drive letter to the recovery partition and thereby unhiding it was the solution to the backup and hibernate problems I referred to. My concern was, I was not sure what effect this would have if I ever needed to recover my laptop to the factory presets, a process that would involve this partition. For example, would the recovery process no longer recognize the partition with its new drive letter assigned?

Also, I was asking if anyone out there knew why this worked. It seemed illogical to me that simply assigning a drive letter to a previously hidden recovery partition would eliminate the errors I was seeing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?