Hot Topics

Windows 2003 Server Major Problem

recap 13:47 20 Jul 2007

Hi all,

We run a Dell PowerEdge 2600 server with Windows 2003 Server on.

All of a sudden I got a BSD stating there was a problem with the memory. I shut the system down and now I cannot get past the first DOS screen. No matter what I try - F2 setup, F10 Utility Mode, have place Server CD in but it will not get past the first DOS screen. There was an error report when I pressed F10 stating that keyboard stuck, but when I press any key I get a beep from the server.

I have tried several times unplugging it turning it off at the power button, but still it will not load.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

recap

powerless 22:48 20 Jul 2007

Run it on minimum memory and swap the sticks about.

recap 09:09 21 Jul 2007

Thanks for that Powerless, I tried with just one stick in and nothing at all came up and the screen. Swapped them around and the same happened.

recap 13:13 23 Jul 2007

This morning I tried the Utility option from DOS. This took nearly 2 hours to start. Once the full extensive test had finished still nothing happend.

I decided to have a cuppa and another scratch of my head. When I got back to the server it was asking me to boot from CD, EH??? I had left the CD and floppy in the drives from the test. I took them out and low and behold the server booted up.

I then ran the Dell Open Mangers diagnostic test and the only thing that fails is the tape drive.

I will be installing a new tape drive and hope that solves the problem.

Thanks Powerless.

recap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)