Hot Topics

Windows 10 Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap

tallboy 21:58 31 Mar 2020

For the past week I have been plagued with a Windows Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap problem on my 64-bit Windows 10 system. Having checked the web for suggestions as how to fix I am still searching for a fix. I've done the obvious things such as cleaning out the dust & fluff from my PC and checked through the PC drivers. I have also run a sfc / scannow test which did not report any errors. The problem does not crop up as long as I'm using the PC, but as soon as I leave it to make a cuppa, I come back to a 'Blue Screen of Death!. Going into Safe Mode shows up errors on all the Audio drivers (Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, AMD High Definition Audio Device, Intel Display Audio, Pro 900, Realtek Audio & Generic PnP Monitor. However, these were not present when the PC was working before my coffee break. Even if I disable all of these (i.e. so there is no errors showing on any driver) the problem occurs again as soon as I leave the PC for a couple of minutes!

If anyone has any suggestions to a suitable fix for this problem (before I wipe the disk clean & re-install Windows 10), I would be very grateful to hear from you. Thanks.

Govan1x 23:37 31 Mar 2020

Some drivers don't work in safe mode.

Take it you have had a look in device manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Also check in event viewer to see what that shows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:43 31 Mar 2020

click here install the free bluescreenview and after the next crash tell us what info it shows.

tallboy 09:38 01 Apr 2020

Many thanks for the prompt responses Govan1x & Fruit Bat /\0/. Yes, I regularly look out for yellow exclamation marks in the driver window when I have any problems. There were none initially, but when the error occurs, several audio devices show exclamation marks. I disabled all these drivers, but the problem still happened when I went for a coffee!

I have downloaded bluescreenview (thanks for this) and will check the events viewer if the problem happens again. Hopefully it won't as I have now gone back to a system image I made on 3rd March which is before the blue screen problem started. I'll watch out for it as I re-apply software updates. I'll be sure to come back to this post if it happens again.

x13 10:24 01 Apr 2020

Might show something, go to event viewer, Windows logs, system. Wait for it to load and have a browse. Also check reliability monitor for possible clues.

tallboy 17:16 01 Apr 2020

Thanks for the suggestion x13. As yet (fingers crossed) the problem hasn't re-occurred after I went back to a system image from early March. I'll be sure to take a look at the Windows logs & reliability monitor if it does occur again.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Apple Breakfast: iPhone 11 is a hit! Inductiv acquisition & more

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans