Windows 10 - stuck in 3 BSOD boot loop

TRT 1 11:33 12 Aug 2018
Answered

Hi all

Some background. My laptop has had some issues with general performance issues and the DRIVER STATE POWER FAILURE BSOD when trying to save on certain games like ARK and FM18.

After getting annoyed by all of this I attempted some driver repairs with Snappy Driver Installer and this ended up breaking another game, Dota 2, which would not progress past the logo screen and no online game-specific solutions could rectify. The update also disabled my touchpad and laptop inbuilt keyboard. I attempted a system restore but it didn't complete. After a few attempts, both through desktop and repair environment, I decided to do a full refresh but keeping files. This didn't complete either.

At this point I restarted and was given the BSOD 'attempted execute of nonexecute memory's after which the computer restarted. I then forced a full refresh, no files, which after completion and on attempting to load Windows cycles through three BSODS - attempted execute of nonexecute memory, attempted to write read-only memory and driver unloaded without cancelling pending operation.

Any tips? Is the hard drive bricked? Cheers.

Theo

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 12 Aug 2018
Answer

suggest you download a boot media of win 10 from MS and do a clean install.

follow the instuctions using the tool from the second link.

download any drivers for your graphics card and other equipment direct from the manufacturers web site rather than using dodgy driver update tools

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

TRT 1 12:49 12 Aug 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat. Can a boot be done via USB? There is a spare laptop but no CD writer in the house.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 12 Aug 2018

Yes the boot media can be burnt to DVD or install on a bootable USB stick (8G)

TRT 1 12:22 13 Aug 2018

Fruit Bat, I used Rufus to burn the ISO to a flash drive. Plugged it in and after an extended (four hour) process it successfully pushed my installation to Windows.old and installed fresh. Thanks so much for your help. I have updated the drivers using device manager and windows update for safety.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)