Windows 10 as standalone, don't need internet.

[DELETED] 11:42 06 Feb 2018
Answered

I'm asking this as I'm looking to replace my ageing Netbook. I use Ubuntu MATE and intend to put that new the new computer as a dual boot, so keeping Windows 10, but I don't want Windows 10 to connect to the internet, the software I intend to use doesn't need an internet connection to work.

Sorry for the silly question, but I haven't used MS Windows for years at home and can't find the information, I know the older versions you could do that. Windows 98 was the last one I used.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 06 Feb 2018
  1. you don't have to install a browser however if it can't connect to the internet how do you deal with updates?

2. If the machine does need to connect then just uninstall the wireless card either by uninstalling the drivers or physically remove it from the machine.

[DELETED] 13:50 06 Feb 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I think I'll have a re-think and ditch Windows altogether, because I was looking at two systems, one uses Windows for its software and the other one is cross platform software.

Thanks anyway, by the way, I suppose you can download the updates to a flash drive and install them anyway? Just out of curiosity.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:06 06 Feb 2018
Answer

Yes you could

Jollyjohn 15:43 06 Feb 2018

You could run VirtualBox on Ubuntu and install W10 as a virtual PC. This worked for me previously. Skip entering the key code and as long as you do not connect W10 to the internet it won't attempt to activate. I ran W10 this way for a few months before getting a W10 licence and installing it properly.

[DELETED] 16:07 06 Feb 2018

Thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?