Hot Topics

Windows 10 Slow Post And Disaparing HD

RobCharles1981 22:55 10 Dec 2019

Hello all I'm wondering if any of you have had this problem I'm getting?

First of all my Specs: Windows 10 Pro Corsair 750watt PSU Fractal F5 Case AMD Ryzen 5 2600 MSI B450 Motherboard 16 DDR Memory AMD R9390 Graphics Card Creative Z Audio Card 2 SSD's and 3 HDD's

The Problem I'm getting on random occasions are random slow performance I Shut down My Computer then Restart and it takes an age to get back to desktop which is driving me around the bend, I unplugged my External HDD's sometimes it works and often it doesn't. Then What happens one my Drives "goes off line" then I have to reconnect the Cables to the drive in order for it to be "seen again" Any ideas what's going on here?

Many thanks Rob

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:42 01 Jan 2020

I assume this is the SSD with windows on? if you use chkdsk on a SSD the instead of CHKdsk /r /f you should use chkdsk /scan or chkdsk /spotfix.

It may be reporting a bad file system rather than a bad sector.

Your other problems are likely to be due to corrupt windows files so a repair from a windows media USB is probably a good idea.

x13 09:56 01 Jan 2020

Yes. As *Fruit Bat /\0/* I use the command chkdsk /f on SSDs via Windows PowerShell (admin). You'll have to configure Defender after first run an it blocks permissions then run again.

RobCharles1981 10:17 01 Jan 2020

Hi Fruit Bat yes Its running on the SSD but what difference would the chkdsk function do to my current situation?

I had attempted to try a repair install of my Windows 10 Media but I got an error saying that the drive is "locked" Any ideas?

X13 - Please Elaborate?

x13 10:55 01 Jan 2020

If you have multiple drives then use the command chkdsk /f C: as that selects the Windows drive (if Windows on C:)

Have a look at this article about locked drive Link

RobCharles1981 11:01 01 Jan 2020

Many thanks Will take a look.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 01 Jan 2020

Drive is locked -

Hit Cancel on the error message. The computer should boot to the Windows 10 Recovery Environment.

Click on Troubleshoot.

click Advanced options from the Troubleshoot menu. On the Advanced options screen that appears, click the Command Prompt.

At the command prompt, type bootrec /FixMbr and press Enter on the keyboard.

NOTE: A message should appear after each command that the process completed successfully. The command prompt will then reappear, allowing you to type the next command in the list of steps below. Type bootrec /fixboot and press Enter.

Type bootrec /ScanOs and press Enter.

Type bootrec /RebuildBcd and press Enter.

NOTE: A prompt for Total identified Windows installations: may now appear with the choices of Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:. Type Y for Yes to continue with the rebuild process.

Finally, type Exit and press Enter.

The computer should reboot and allow the refresh or repair of Windows 10 to complete.

RobCharles1981 18:29 03 Jan 2020

The Problem I have here is that the drive is having a senior moment. I tried to run the Chkdsk Function in Windows as Admin but there are "Bad Clusters" I've managed to copy the data all off and over to the new drive.

But there are issues, when I tried to copy the last few files saying it "cant read" the files in question are .mts (video files) and won't play.

Any thoughts?

RobCharles1981 21:48 06 Jan 2020

Bump

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Realme X50 Pro 5G confirmed: Release date, price & specs

How do you brand real estate for Generation Rent?

Best free iPhone apps

iPad et iPhone : comment installer Microsoft Office gratuitement ?