Windows 10 randomly rebooting every 1 - 2 days

Tom Wilson 00:35 15 Jan 2018

I believe this issue first started during mid-December, around the time of a major update.

Since then, I've been experiencing random, sudden reboots every 1 or 2 days. No warnings, no BSOD, the screen just goes black and the computer reboots. Never had it more than once in a single day.

I assumed this was due to a faulty power supply, so I replaced it, but the problem persists.

While I don't get a BSOD, it does produce a minidump, which leads me to believe it's the fault of Windows, rather than a faulty motherboard perhaps.

Minidump: click here analysis: click here click here haven't made any recent physical changes to my PC (besides the power supply, which turned out not to be faulty).

I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found no errors. I also ran a CPU stress test using prime95 for 4 hours and encountered no errors/reboots.

Whenever there is a major Windows 10 update in the past, I've noticed a lot of settings are reverted and certain drivers need to be reinstalled. This has led me to believe that what I'm experiencing is a software fault, rather than a hardware fault. Of course that doesn't rule out the possibility of a faulty bit of hardware, maybe the motherboard.

Any ideas?

Minidump Sysinfo32: I

Tom Wilson 00:40 15 Jan 2018

Those links seemed to get mangled for some reason. Here they are again:

Minidump: click here analysis: click here click here

Minidump Sysinfo32:

Tom Wilson 00:42 15 Jan 2018

OK, well it just does that I guess, and there's no way to edit. One last time...

First link - Minidump.

Second link - Minidump analysis.

Third link - Sysinfo32.

stlucia2 09:05 16 Jan 2018

My new HP Pavillion PC is doing exactly the same as you describe, and I was thinking to return it under warranty. I've had it about four weeks, and during that time it's had a couple of major (timewise) Windows 10 updates apart from the initial one when I first set it up.

The only thing I think I've noticed is that it only seems to happen when I have more than one program open, and it always seems to happen when I left-click the mouse. Shut downs are never more than once a day, and the PC always restarts automatically.

I'd be interested to hear any theories about what's going on, before I start the returns process.

rickf 10:51 16 Jan 2018

I read recently somewhere that this may be caused by a patch released by Intel to correct meltdown and spectre in computers with older cpus.,

Secret-Squirrel 11:49 16 Jan 2018

I'd be interested to hear any theories about what's going on.............

StLucia, it would help if you can do what the original poster did, so head over to the C:\Windows\minidump folder and upload two or three of the most recent files to a file-sharing website. When that's done post the link here and I'll have a look at them.

By the way, the OP's minidump file returned a conclusion of "hardware error" when I analysed it. That can be caused by zillions of things unfortunately. Most of the time though the specific culprit can be identified so it's worth you trying what I suggested.

stlucia2 11:50 17 Jan 2018

Thanks Secret-Squirrel. I'll do that when I get back to my PC.

stlucia2 11:50 17 Jan 2018

Thanks Secret-Squirrel. I'll do that when I get back to my PC.

Tom Wilson 17:03 17 Jan 2018

Mysteriously my reboot problem hasn't reoccurred for almost 4 days, when it's been almost consistently rebooting every 1-2 days for a month, so I can't provide any more minidumps. For some reason the old minidumps get erased/replaced whenever a new one is made.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?