Windows 10 PC too slow on starting...

ontodva 21:28 28 Nov 2019

... because of housekeeping disk activity.

I have a growing problem with system drive saturation on startup (boot or from hibernation) and for up to half an hour. The C: drive is at 100% with high amounts of reads and writes from Windows Defender, Dropbox, Onedrive, Windows Update, Visual Studio, etc, etc. This slows the computer so much it can be unusable for 10 - 30 minutes. I have done what I can to mitigate it but the problem is getting worse. It has SATA 6 Gbit/s and spinning hard drives - old tech. My much newer laptop has a M.2 SSD and has no such problem.

Should I get a Sata 3 SSD as a new system drive on the PC? The PC is too old to take an M.2 SSD and I don't want to (and can't afford to) replace it yet. The question is, will the fact it is an SSD be enough to make all the background disk IO not a problem, despite it still being a Sata bus?

I'm asking for advice because I don't want to go through all the pain of sorting out a new Windows installation and find out it doesn't help. I have been assuming Windows 10 background housekeeping IO is now just too intense for 6 year old PCs, as the explanation.

The PC has 16GB RAM, and paging is disabled. I changed the swap file to somewhat bigger than it needs to be, fixed size. Then I disabled paging. I check the memory use – it is rarely more than 50%. I defrag the system drive from time to time but it is never that fragmented. I can’t image it for a quick restore as it has around 3TB of files and the SSD will be 500GB. Plus, I don’t want to replicate problems if software or installations are the cause. I have done a full surface scan with chkdsk and the disk is perfect. S.M.A.R.T. reports no issues. I’ve done all the mitigation I can think of, and that includes disabling some default Windows tasks, turning off indexing, but the number of IO demanding background processes and threads just keeps growing. I use Resource Monitor and see some processes with dozens of high disk IO threads.

wee eddie 11:51 29 Nov 2019

Well, use something, I use CCleaner to reduce the number of programs opening at Start-up. You can delay many of them

CamilaSaunders 12:04 02 Dec 2019

That's a very common problem which happens with most of the people. I recommend you to use Advanced System Optimizer which will help in speeding up your PC.

mrgrumpy 14:46 02 Dec 2019

The first thing to do is look at your start up menu and have a good sort out. I have about 15 entries in my start up menu but the only I have ticked to work from boot up is the reatek sound card , my Kaspersky boots up without an entry in start up menu.

Next look for start up entries for software you no longer use as these sometimes get left behind , a left over start entry will make windows hang because it will be looking for something you might not have installed.

Look in add/remove to see if you have downloaded anything as an extra without knowing it , you could have something running without knowing it.

I note you have an ssd , their are article around that say you can reduce the life of an ssd if you defrag it.

wee eddie 21:58 02 Dec 2019

Sam, if you'd've listened to me, you could've done that last week

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G