Win95 laptop won't start

Tangy 18:39 17 Nov 2003

Last night my Win95 laptop (Pentium 150MHz / 64MB RAM) hanged. I couldn't reboot it so I turned off the main power. There was still power so I then pulled out the battery as well, which definitely did the job. I didn't do anything afterwards as I went to bed.

The next day I found that it wouldn't start up. What's happened? Is it completely dead now?

Jester2K II 18:46 17 Nov 2003

Don't know unless you tell us what DOES happen!! Messages? Beeps? Noises etc etc

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 2003

have you got a win95 cd

Tangy 19:41 17 Nov 2003

Nothing happens at all. No beeps. Completely dead. I'm afraid I may have short-circuited something. Would trying to start without the battery help. Could I have just short-circuited the battery or something like that?

I don't have the original Win95 disks. Been too long. Think I've lost them.

woodchip 21:56 17 Nov 2003

Remove the battery and plug the mains in and try

Tangy 17:03 26 Nov 2003

I removed the battery & restarted successfully. The strange thing was that afterwards I powered off, reinserted the battery & still was able to power on. Strange?

Stuartli 17:53 26 Nov 2003

Might have just been a loose battery contact; this would probably have prevented the mains supply taking over.

Usually when you go onto mains supply the battery supply will be cut off to prevent unncecessary drain; portable radios and similar equipment often have this feature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming