win7 boots to desktop then nothing

ened 08:14 19 Apr 2018
Answered

It was working okay then suddenly I returned to it and found a black screen and cursor (Which could be moved). Turned off at mains and opened in Safe Mode. Appeared to work okay with nothing showing in Device Manager. Memory recording as correct (8Gb). Rebooted and left it idle only to return after a few minutes to find BSofD!

I have stripped it out and reconnected everything and then used safe mode to update the video driver. Now when I turn it on I get the desktop with cursor but no functionality.

I tried ctrl/alt/del and eventually got this message:

"Failure to display security and shut down options. The logon process was unable to display security and logon options. If the operating system does not respond press Esc or restart the computer bu using the power switch."

I have not installed any hardware for a long time neither any programmes. I am at a bit of a loss.

Secret-Squirrel 09:49 19 Apr 2018

Your problem sounds like it's very recent so a System Restore will probably be ideal. You can do that in Safe Mode. Pick a date when your computer was working properly but don't go further back than you need. It won't affect your documents, photos and other personal stuff.

ened 10:02 19 Apr 2018

Tried that but there were no Restore Points available. Do you think it is a software issue? I was concerned in case it might be something major like the mobo.

ened 10:04 19 Apr 2018

I only have one Hard Drive on this machine and it is showing as 'Healthy' in Disk Management. Also there are no strange sounds emanating from the comp.

Secret-Squirrel 10:19 19 Apr 2018

PS: Here's some info about System Restore if you've never used it before. Ignore the pesky ads on that webpage though.

ened 13:05 19 Apr 2018

Thanks - I have used it before but this is not my main machine and, regrettably I had not set any Restore Points. I am at a complete loss here and would appreciate any other suggestions as to where I might look. I have ordered another Hard Drive which I will have a use for if it turns out not to be the fault. I also forgot to mention that I had run Malwarebytes in safe Mode and it came up with no issues.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 19 Apr 2018
Answer

Boot to safe mode and log in as administrator

click Start, All Programs, Accessories.

Right click on Command Prompt and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Type "netsh winsock reset" and click Enter Key

a message that the Winsock was reset should appear, reboot for changes to take effect. and it should boot normally

Secret-Squirrel 13:46 19 Apr 2018

Ened, if the Fruit Bat's copy 'n' paste from this forum thread doesn't help then try the other suggestion regarding running a disk check as that looks promising.

You can test if your problem's caused by a corrupt profile and that's to create a new user account and see if you can log into that. You can always delete it afterwards.

Do you think it is a software issue?

Yes, I do.

1]: [click here

ened 16:06 19 Apr 2018

The winsock reset made no difference. I created a second a/c and I got a background and the cursor - nothing else, not even the Taskbar. Right clicking did not work nor did ctrl/alt/del.

Using msconfig in Safe mode I noticed an inordinate amount of services were not running but I had already tried to turn them off to try to identify which one might have been causing a problem. That experiment failed so I am going to turn them all back on and look at the final suggestion that I have not tried (from Secret-Squirrel)

Secret-Squirrel 08:44 20 Apr 2018

............. I noticed an inordinate amount of services were not running ....................

Lots of services don't start in Safe Mode so that's normal behaviour.

I have a few other ideas if your disk check didn't fix anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:30 20 Apr 2018

Blacker Adder's site shows the services that should be running if you have lost track of what you have stopped and started. click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

A new magazine aims to educate kids about food with some very edgy artwork

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

TV & streaming : comment regarder l’US Open de tennis ?