Win7 Back-up Image on DVD

jimforrest 19:17 12 Oct 2013
Answered

After my recent total comp failure experience I installed a new HDD, got Win7 up again (with a lot of help from here) and I've decided to make an image on a DVD just in case it happens again. However, despite loading Win7 from an .iso that I downloaded from the net (onto a DVD), it seems that I can't generate a specific one from my computer because a DVD is too small. Why the difference? (I have a spare HDD and a caddy so I can put it on there - but a DVD is easier).

Aitchbee 20:30 12 Oct 2013

usually, more than 1 dvd blank disc is required [typically 2 or 3, if not many programs have been installed onto the system HD] ... I did a win 7 backup yesterday [20gb saved onto 2 dvd disks - compression involved]...had a problem with the 'in-built' dvd rw/cd writer inside the computer, so had to use an external USB dvd writer, the resulting backup using 2 dvd discs [4.7gb X 2] seemed to go alright.

jimforrest 21:18 12 Oct 2013

Thanks Aibee - mine is practically brand new clean install - I've just added a couple of spyware progs, AVG and Ms Office. My writer is ok - so I can do it on more than 1 DVD. Presumably in a re-install situation the comp will ask for disk 2?

Aitchbee 21:21 12 Oct 2013

Should do.

Aitchbee 21:28 12 Oct 2013

... forgot to add that when [each time] a new blank dvd disc is inserted into the dvd writer for the backup, a windows requester 'comes up' on screen sayin', ' Is it all right to format this disk? ' or similar wording.

Did you get that requester message?

hastelloy 08:36 13 Oct 2013

IMHO backing up to DVD is unreliable as the discs degrade. Extenal HDD is the best option for a backup.

jimforrest 12:40 13 Oct 2013

I get that message with RW CD's Aitbee - and Windows inevitably 'fails to complete the Format' so I have to switch to Img Burn and that fixes it. I don't get it with DVD's though.

jimforrest 12:43 13 Oct 2013

I have heard that before Marvin42. Does it apply to just DVD's (or CD's too) and how long do they last? I have CD's that I wrote to in the early years of XP and they are still good.

hastelloy 13:26 13 Oct 2013
Answer

Yes, CDs as well. I think it depends on the quality of the disc and how it's stored. I wouldn't trust anything I value to any disc - always use external HDDs which are only switched on when in use.

jimforrest 13:51 13 Oct 2013

Ok Marvin. That's been generally the suggestion from most people on here. Every time I've 'dumped' a laptop I have always removed and kept the HDD - so I'll dig a small one out and use that in my caddy.

Aitchbee 22:06 13 Oct 2013

This might be of interest:

This afternoon, I tried and failed to restore my backup image of my W7 ultimate computer [contained on 2 DVDs, which I 'successfully created' about 48 hrs ago].

Thankfully, I had made 3 seperate backups [of the same computer] using 3 different methods!

I also backed up to an external HD using the W7 'inbuilt' program; but decided to restore my computer using a backup created with Ocster 8, with no problems.

PS. I had to restore my computer because of an installation of Directory Opus 6 ... which works fine with XP, but messes up things, big-time, on W7!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?