Win xp pro reinstall problem

hvs 12:01 05 Jun 2006

I want to reinstall win xp pro but I get an error message saying that the version on my pc is a newer version than on the cd rom. Is this because of SP1 and 2 being on the pc? How do I go about a clean re-install of win xp pro then?
Thanks
Heidi

jimv7 12:11 05 Jun 2006

Restart the computer and boot from the cdrom with the xp disk in, follow onscreen instructions.

You might have to enable boot from cd in the bios so the cd is 1st boot device.

hvs 12:54 05 Jun 2006

Thanks for your advice I will try it again. If this does not work please explain how I do it from the bios. I am not clued up on these things1
Thanks
Heidi

hvs 17:14 05 Jun 2006

I have tried booting up again from the cd rom and changed it in the bios no go. I created the 6 bootable floppys but when I insert the 2nd one I get an error message saying that the file ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded (werror 7). Do you have any other ideas? When I load the cd rom I don't get a repair option at all. Why is this?
thanks
Heidi

DrScott 17:18 05 Jun 2006

The usual process is putting the CD in the drive, rebooting, and when prompted, hitting any key to continue to install from CD.

After a few minutes of blue screen, you should get a screen of options, one of which is 'install windows XP'.

Select this. The next screen should then offer the option of 'repair installation' - select that and all should work.

If you want to do a complete reinstall, i.e. start as if you had a brand new hard drive with nothing on it, then you need to format your HDD and erase all its data.

hvs 11:56 06 Jun 2006

I have tried repeatedly to install from win xp pro cd rom but it will not go any further than the options on the first window. When I click install xp it comes up with the same messgae that there is a newer version on the pc etc. The floppy option won't start either I get the error message as explained above. Is the next best option to format the hard drive? How do I go about this? My computer . click c then format hard drive. What are the steps to follow after this? Is it quite simple?
Thanks
heidi

DrScott 12:00 06 Jun 2006

If you can get into the command line, then you can format the HDD in the way you say. Once you've got rid of the current OS, you should then be able to install, and reformat/partition the HDD with XP.

Your problems are most likely due to SP 2 being on the PC, and your installation CD is likely SP1.

Sethhaniel 15:12 06 Jun 2006

"I have tried booting up again from the cd rom and changed it in the bios no go. I created the 6 bootable floppys but when I insert the 2nd one I get an error message saying that the file ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded (werror 7). Do you have any other ideas? When I load the cd rom I don't get a repair option at all."

I Had the identical situation after microsoft automatic updates finished my pc - would not start next day saying Ntsf.sys was missing or corrupt - my six floppies came up with same error No7 and xp cds froze at Kernel Degguger

I have had to put new Drive in - load windows 98 then XP over top

you could try putting wind 98 in then Xp over top but I think you'll find that it comes up with urecoverable error on your drive

Sethhaniel 15:18 06 Jun 2006

click here

maybe a solution for your problem in here ??

Sethhaniel 15:43 06 Jun 2006

click here

"ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded "

When you receive the "Press F6 to load SCSI/Raid Drivers" prompt, press F7 to bypass Advanced Configuration and PowerInterface (ACPI) detection.

hvs 16:30 06 Jun 2006

I can get no further than when I click to install win xp. message that the version on the pc is newer than the version on the cd rom. It is the original cdrom but without sp1 or sp2, sp1 was downloaded from microsoft site and installed and sp2 was installed off microsft cd sp2 which I had ordered.
I used to have win 98 but not on a floppy disc, original Win 98 cdrom. Please ewplain to me which is the best way to go. Install win 98 or format hard drive?
Heidi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?