Win XP Home – re-install error

zed650 08:16 30 Aug 2004

Win XP Home – re-install error
Hi all,

Over the weekend I tried to re-install Win XP on my computer, Evesham, AMD 2100xp, twin 80GB HDD, 512 Ram, ATI (AIW)

The re-install gets to 13 minutes remaining, where it is ‘Registering Components’ then an error message appears.

“Unregmp2.exe – Entry Point Not Found The Procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL.”

I then have to press the reset button for the computer to re-boot.

I pressed f8 to get into a boot up-screen and have tried all the available choices i.e safe mode , last known working… etc. but to no avail.

Before I go any further and really screw things up I would like some help please.

User-312386 08:21 30 Aug 2004

ensure that there are no peripheral devices (printer etc etc) connected whilst re-installing

Did you carry out a Format? If so did you do a full format?

Also ensure the disc is clean

zed650 14:03 30 Aug 2004

Thanks madboy33,

I did leave everything connected so I'll remove my printer etc. and try again.

I didn't format the drive and now I can't access it as the re-install resumes at 39 minutes to go then stops at 13 minutes to go.

I'll also give the disk a wee wipe but it's never been used before! (wish I had't used it this time)

Cheers
zed.

zed650 19:49 30 Aug 2004

Hi

Just removed all devices ('cept power,k'board,mouse) and tried again, but no luck.

Please help me before I start to open the case!

Zed

Graham ® 20:24 30 Aug 2004

Try this click here

zed650 20:26 30 Aug 2004

It's working!

But suprise suprise has a virus.

It started to work all by itself! I left it running while I necked an amber and it greeted me with a new splash screen. I followed the instuctions and it rebooted into windows. everything seemed fine when it started but being the not very trusting person when it comes to 'puters I ran AVG. Within two secs it found a virus '[email protected]' could this have been the cause of all my problems?

once I rid the machine of this litle germ what are the next best steps?

zed.

zed650 20:35 30 Aug 2004

Thanks Graham,

I'll mark his as resolved and see what else i can come up with once AVG has done its stuff!

Cheers Guys

zed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?