Win XP - Freezes on Hibernate

FCD 22:28 02 Jul 2004

I have a dual boot Win ME / Win XP system which I have run for over a year. I use it mainly for internet and office work. I have used the hibernate function [both manually and automatically] regulary without previous problems. However, tonight I found that the system freezes whenever I select hibernate either through the power switch or the timed function. I see the screen which says that the computer is preparing to hibernate at which stage everything freezes - screen, mouse and keyboard.
My only option is a manual re-boot.

I can use the normal shut down without problem.

I have tried restoring to an earlier time without success and would be very grateful for any other options which might help to sort out this odd failure.

Rtus 22:56 02 Jul 2004

check bios & general system settings to ensure nothings altered there..have you plenty of free space ..this freezing can start happening if the systems starting to get clogged with temp/un-needed files try a good clean out & defrag then try the hibernate sequence again..assuming you havent updated any sound /video drivers

FCD 12:36 03 Jul 2004

Many thanks. I also checked the MS KB and found that the exact symtoms were caused by NERO CD ROM v5 and 5.5 - which I installed and appeared to work ok a few days ago. Removed Nero and all now back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review

Razer's Core X GPU enclosure hands on review: It's cheaper, bigger, and even works with Macs

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

E3 2018 : dates, conférences de presse, billets et plus