win 98 Welcome to Windows

Bandy 10:26 09 Dec 2003

I can't get rid of the first welcome to windows screen on my second machine.

Tried all sorts but it insists on starting at every switch on.

Anyone any ideas of how to stop this irritation?

Terrahawk 10:29 09 Dec 2003

is their not a check box in the bottom left hand corner show this screen at start up just uncheck it if their is then click exit

Bandy 10:44 09 Dec 2003

Yes, your correct, but in this case it doesn't work. The screen still pops up each time the computer starts.

JIM 10:54 09 Dec 2003

How To Get rid of "Welcome to Windows" dialog box:

Q: I have Windows 98. Each time I start my computer a little screen appears "Welcome to Windows" and requests my user name and password. This window stops my computer from proceeding until it is filled in or cancelled! This is a new interruption that I could live without. Have you any idea of how I can eliminate this "pest" permanently?

A: The box you are getting is the Logon box, which is part of the Windows Logon process. People use the Windows Logon if they have multiple profiles on their computer, or are connected to a network.

To remove the logon option, here is what you need to do. The first step is to do a search for all password files. In the Start menu, click on the Search option. In the search box, type the following: *.pwl. Once the search is over, delete all the files with the PWL extension. This will remove all the password files from your computer.

Once this is done, go to the Control Panel and double click on the Network icon. Click on the Add button. In the next window, click on Service. Then in the left window click on Microsoft and finally, in the right window, click on "Windows Family Logon." Then click OK to get back to the Network Properties window. Just below the Add button you will see another window. On the left side of the window click on the down arrow and choose the "Windows Family Logon" option. Click OK to close the Network Properties.

(It sounds complicated, but really isn't too bad!)

Windows will ask you for the Windows installation disc and will load the new configuration. Once completed, you will be asked to reboot.

Bandy 18:21 09 Dec 2003

Thank you Jim but I am referring to the screen that comes up when you first use win98, Its the one that asks if you want to take the tour, view the changes etc., etc along with some fairly awful music.

Terrahawk was correct in that there is a small box in the bottom left hand corner if you don't wish to see the screen each time you start the machine (along with the appropriate legend). The only problem in my case is that unticking the box does not work

I presume its in the registry somewhere but I can't find it.

Gaz 25 18:25 09 Dec 2003

yeah there is a windows welcome entry in the regsitry set it to and its GONE.....

But I have forgot where it is.

Gaz 25 18:25 09 Dec 2003

set it to 1

VoG II 18:26 09 Dec 2003

I think the key name is "runonce"

Jester2K II 18:36 09 Dec 2003

"The only problem in my case is that unticking the box does not work "

Sorry i thought you had to TICK this box to get rid of it?

What does the text by the box say EXAVTLY??

Jester2K II 18:36 09 Dec 2003

"The only problem in my case is that unticking the box does not work "

Sorry i thought you had to TICK this box to get rid of it?

What does the text by the box say EXACTLY??

Bandy 20:03 09 Dec 2003

Did it the easy way in the end and deleted the file c:\windows\welcome.exe

May not be the correct answer but it works,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?