Win 10 fresh install onto new SSD problem

AJDux 22:22 03 Nov 2015

Hey guys, just install win 10 (was upgrade from 8) via USB boot on new SSD. COuple of small issues I think are related, basically all old HDD show up in my computer, but no files show up in search from those other drives, no programs are automatically detected (for example, open an open document file and it ask what program to use although open office on other drive) and no programs from other drives showing in uninstall/change programs. Im currently running a fresh index for all the drives minus SSD will that maybe help?

Otherwise any ideas? Im really not too good with this kind of thing :/

TIA

rdave13 00:32 04 Nov 2015

Your SSD is now the operating drive. Windows is installed on the C drive. So to open an Open Office document on another drive you'll have to install Open Office on the C (SSD) drive otherwise it doesn't have the information to read the document. Registry not correct. It should see photos and music folders though. If your second HDD is still a C:\ drive I'm surprised Windows boots correctly as having two bootable drives can cause conflict.

It's difficult to explain as you're using a secondary drive that had Windows installed. Any programs on the secondary drive won't work as not installed on the C:\ drive. Data folders you should be able to see and backup but no program will run from the secondary drive in this setup.

AJDux 07:20 04 Nov 2015

THanks for response rDave.

Yeah SSD is now C:\, old drive is now E:. So is the easiest way to deal with this just to reformat the old drive? Its mostly games and ive copied off everything that I can think off that I might want or need.

rdave13 09:08 04 Nov 2015

That's the way I did it. Then create new folders on the data drive (E) in your case. For example, create a folder and call it Downloads2 for instance then another for Games2. In your browser/s change the default download path to the new download2 folder. Note in Edge you can't do this yet without using the registry editor. Future builds of Edge will allow you to easily change the default download location but not now.

When you download the game and 'save' it, open the downloads2 folder and run the installation. During install select to install to the Games2 folder. The game will be installed on the E drive and you will have the Icon on the C drive's desktop. To run the game double click its icon on the desktop. Depending on the size of the SSD some programs are better installed on that drive such as Office. This is just an example of one setup and you can create more folders for other types of programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD