Will a scanner cause conflicts?

palinka 11:20 14 Dec 2003

I'm about to buy a scanner for my sister for Christmas; probably a Canon. Her system is w98 and she has 2 USB slots. She also has a camera connected (through one of the USBs). Reading past threads about scanners I found one titled "Camera & Scanner USB conflict - help!" dated 31.7.03 which makes me wonder if it will result in conflicts. I'm anxious to avoid this as I will be the one who has to sort out any problems!

johnnyrocker 11:22 14 Dec 2003

if it is 98 and not 98se then i would think you can expect probs as win 98 has virtually no usb support.

johnny.

palinka 11:32 14 Dec 2003

if that's the case, can anyone suggest a solution please.

Big Elf 11:43 14 Dec 2003

Buy her XP for Xmas and a scanner for her birthday:0)

If her camera works through the USB port doesn't that suggest that she has 98SE and although she may have problem with a scanner you could say that about anything you connect to a PC

palinka 12:16 14 Dec 2003

Thanks, Big Elf, but I'm certain she has W98. Her previous scanner (now defunct) had a parallel connection but knowing she had 2 USB ports and only one of them currently in use I didn't forsee any probs with a new USB-connecting scanner until I read the thread I mentioned.

Big Elf 12:21 14 Dec 2003

In that case it probably depends on how well the scanner driver is written and it's difficult to find that out without actually trying it.

palinka 12:38 14 Dec 2003

Thanks, Big Elf. Looks like my neat solution to a Christmas present may not be so neat after all!

MAJ 12:43 14 Dec 2003

You could buy her a parallel scanner, palinka. click here

MAJ 12:45 14 Dec 2003
  palinka 14:00 14 Dec 2003

Thanks, Maj and everyone else. As her system has been built by a local "little man" I think I'll suggest she gets him to provide and install a new scanner and send the bill to me; it's not the way Father Christmas normally operates, but it may save me a lot of aggro in the long term!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)