Will router change improve my speed

ponytail 10:09 14 Mar 2018

This may be a silly question but is it possible to increase my laptops performace by changing the router.My current router is a Plusnet Hub One.I was browsing on Amazon and there are so many at all different prices.On example enclosed click here

wee eddie 12:49 16 Mar 2018

Why won't you consider my suggestion of a Homeplug solution Google page

john bunyan 12:56 16 Mar 2018

I think your wireless download speed upstairs is pretty good. If you think it’s worth it try wee eddies suggestion

ponytail 13:33 16 Mar 2018

Hi Wee Eddie Have just clicked on your link but as there are quite a few different items what one would you suggest as do not want to spend a fortune and how are they connected

wee eddie 14:02 16 Mar 2018

You are best to select "Pass Through" models as they allow you to continue using that Socket.

Plug the base Home Plug in, below your Router and plug the Router's Mains Plug into it. Using the supplied Ethernet Cable plug one end into your Router and the other into the Home Plug.

Read the instructions about "Pairing". Plug the second Home Plug into a mains socket nearby to the Router and "Pair" the two.

Un plug the second Home Plug, take it upstairs, Plug it into the mains and turn on you Laptop. If you have bought one of the types that creates a WiFi Hotspot, which I recommend, you now have another WiFi Hotspot wherever you wish to place it in the house.

Which to chose, mine are now 3 years old and no longer made, but working well. Just remember, you need the type that creates a WiFi Hotspot and it is well worth paying extra for the 'Pass Through' Type

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 16 Mar 2018

I don't think you are going to gain any noticiable speed difference as your downstairs and upstairs speeds are so close to being the same even if you bought the type of homeplug where you can connect the laptop by cable upstairs

john bunyan 15:40 16 Mar 2018

I agree with FB. With non fibre I only get about 8 - 9 mbps and that’s ok for us two light users. What speed did your ISP offer when you switched?

wee eddie 16:11 16 Mar 2018

As far as I know, the type of Homeplug that I have recommended also allow you to plug in a connection, laptop, PC, printer, or whatever

ponytail 10:54 17 Mar 2018

Thanks Eddie will have a browse and then choose one.Just one more quwstion my wife has her laptop in the small office upstairs will these units have any effect on her laptops performance.

ponytail 10:59 17 Mar 2018

The package is for up to 38mp

ponytail 11:10 17 Mar 2018

Hi again eddie the instructions seem pretty clear so am I right in thinking once the pairing has been done I can put the 2nd home plug anywhere in the house and get a connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

Best Monitor for Art and Design

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs