Will router change improve my speed

ponytail 10:09 14 Mar 2018

This may be a silly question but is it possible to increase my laptops performace by changing the router.My current router is a Plusnet Hub One.I was browsing on Amazon and there are so many at all different prices.On example enclosed click here

ponytail 09:38 15 Mar 2018

I am using wireless as the router is downstairs and the laptop is upstairs and there is no phone socket upstairs.

ponytail 09:43 15 Mar 2018

I am in device manager now what am I looking for.Thanks

ponytail 09:45 15 Mar 2018

How do you use a wi-fi dongle

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:58 15 Mar 2018

Expand Network Adapters. If the Wireless Card is identified its name will be shown under Network Adapters.

Don't worry about a donglle until we have confirmed the wireless card it really wouldn't make sense to have such an old wireless card but we need to rule out the possibility first.

john bunyan 10:04 15 Mar 2018

To establish the router speed from your ISP take the laptop down and test the speed with the laptop connected to the router with a lan cable. Then test the wireless connection with the laptop near the router, then upstairs. If there is a big drop you could buy a pair of home plugs with one plugged into the router and the other as a wi fi extender upstairs.

wee eddie 10:41 15 Mar 2018

Get yourself a Home-plug Set. one that creates a wireless point at it's far end. plug the business into your Router and the nearby mains socket, the other into a mains socket upstairs. Job done, no faff

ponytail 11:58 15 Mar 2018

It says 802.11n Wireless LAN card

ponytail 12:17 15 Mar 2018

I have just run speedof.me and the three readings I got were 7.24 6.61 and 15.87 MBPS tried another speed test site and got 15.87MBPS and then another site said 26.60 and 28.01.Not sure why there is such a difference in the readings,These were done wirelessly.Might see what readings I get when I use the cablw.

ponytail 12:42 15 Mar 2018

Can you confirm that what I have done regards to connecting the cable.I presume it is the ethernet cable and one end goes into the laptop and the other end into the router there are four ethernet ports and one is connected to my yuview box from port 1 and port two goes to the laptop both using a ethernet cable.I need to confirm that is correct before test the speed wirelessly

ponytail 13:07 15 Mar 2018

Not sure if this is correct but was looking on Google and there was something about connecting the modem to the laptop with a ethernet cable but have never tried that.As the modem is right next to the laptop it would make it easier but do not want to try it without getting some advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4