Will router change improve my speed

ponytail 10:09 14 Mar 2018

This may be a silly question but is it possible to increase my laptops performace by changing the router.My current router is a Plusnet Hub One.I was browsing on Amazon and there are so many at all different prices.On example enclosed click here

ponytail 10:11 14 Mar 2018

Have just noticed it says wired connection but I use wireless

alanrwood 11:50 14 Mar 2018

Hardly likely. Using WiFi is dependent on so many factors such as what mode your WiFi is using and whether your computer can use the newer faster modes or if your router is capable of them too. Give us more details of your connection type and obtained speeds. Compare it with an ethernet wired connection. (100Mb/s or 1Gb/s). What is the spec of your computer WiFi.

ponytail 13:46 14 Mar 2018

Ok will try and get that info and post it on here

ponytail 13:48 14 Mar 2018

When you say What is the spec of your computer WiFi. where do I find that info

mrcalif 14:18 14 Mar 2018

Type "Netsh WLAN show drivers" without the quotes into a command prompt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 14 Mar 2018

MAke and model of laptop?

We assume you are on a fibre connection as you have the Plusnet Hub One

The plusnet hub one supports dual band wifi so unless your laptop can access the 5mhz signal from the hub you're not going to get a faster speed.

ponytail 15:26 14 Mar 2018

HP Deskjet 2540 All in one

ponytail 15:29 14 Mar 2018

Apologies the model is a ASUS K73E

ponytail 16:01 14 Mar 2018

Hi alanrwood is this the info you wanted. OS Windows 7 64Bit Ram 8.00 GB CPU INTEL(R)Core(TM)[email protected]

octal 16:14 14 Mar 2018

That is quite a nice spec computer, if your internet connection is fast enough it should be quite fast.

As alanrwood says, what is your connection, fibre to the cabinet broadband, or ADSL? It might give a clue if you run speedof.me and post the results.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?