Will repairing XP cause lost data?

Keyhole 19:27 09 May 2004

Can I effect a repair to Windows XP using the Mesh Recovery CD without losing file and program data?

Graham ® 19:40 09 May 2004

'Repairing' XP is not without risk. Why do you think you need to do it?

Keyhole 19:54 09 May 2004

Several reasons - I am unable to play Media Player or Real One Player as I keep getting an error message saying my sound card isn't installed.When I do try to re-instal Creative Audigy, I get a message "NTVDM KERNEL : Missing 16-bit system module. Please re-instal the following module to your system 32 directory: SYSTEM.DRV"
Also, I am unable to transfer data to CD for back-up, although I can play CD's and copy music.
There is a message "Generic Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem etc etc" that comes up twice at each start-up.
With all these (and other) problems, I just figured it would be easier to attempt a repair, as I am at a loss as to how to fix each individual problem.

I

powerless 19:56 09 May 2004

It depends how Mesh see a Recovery CD.

It may well format and perform a clean install = ALL data destroyed.

Or it could do something like this = click here

In either case a backup should be made, other mesh user will know more or give 'em a ring.

Bagsey 20:24 09 May 2004

If your machine is still in warranty contact Mesh who will guide you through the repair or even get an engineer to call and do it for you. If not make sure your important stuff is backed up before trying. Have you tried a system restore yet.?? I would think that that should be your first step.

Keyhole 20:36 09 May 2004

Yes, I have tried System Restore, but the problems remain. I have this evening been told by Mesh 24/7 Help that using the Recovery CD to repair should not lose data, but I should do a back-up just in case. As I can't use transfer data to my CD drive (it keeps saying inhsert CD) I'll hope for the best.

Keyhole 20:36 09 May 2004

Yes, I have tried System Restore, but the problems remain. I have this evening been told by Mesh 24/7 Help that using the Recovery CD to repair should not lose data, but I should do a back-up just in case. As I can't use transfer data to my CD drive (it keeps saying inhsert CD) I'll hope for the best.

Graham ® 21:19 09 May 2004

See this link, it mentions hp tackle click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?