Hot Topics

Will a new router improve my wifi speed?

stlucia2 20:53 05 Dec 2015
Answered

I currently use a Netgear DG834G wireless router. My PC is connected to it by cable, and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 connects via wifi. The Samsung's internet performance can best be described as "iffy" -- it's very slow, and often won't connect to web sites due to timing out, or simply "not found".

Is it likely that I could improve the situation by getting a more up to date router, or is it more likely that my Samsung is now getting too old (2 years)? It seems to have plenty of memory still available -- 9.25GB available out of 16GB, with 4.13GB used by "the system".

wee eddie 21:30 05 Dec 2015

What speed is the Hard Wired PC getting and what is your contracted speed range.

stlucia2 08:41 06 Dec 2015

Broadband.co.uk speed test shows 3.67MB for my PC, compared with an average of 4MB for "standard phone line" in my postcode.

But that's not really the point is it? The point is my tablet, connecting to the router by wifi, is subjectively so much slower and unreliable than my PC.

Forum Editor 10:24 06 Dec 2015

"But that's not really the point is it?"

Partly, but not entirely.Your tablet is almost certainly not to blame, the router is the critical link, and yours does not have a particularly good performance record.

In answer to your next question, you might consider the Asus DSL-AC68U or the TP-Link Archer VR900. Both are excellent routers, and are around the same price.

wee eddie 11:34 06 Dec 2015

I guess that you are desperate to buy a new bit of kit but, you're getting 3.67MBs and the average is 4MBs.

I'd have thought that such a minimal difference is well within normal tolerances and, anyway you don't know the parameters within which the average was calculated.

Buy your new piece of kit, it's the season of good will after all, but don't be surprised if any gain is minimal.

stlucia2 11:36 06 Dec 2015

Thanks for the link Toejams. I've just downloaded and run the app, and got conflicting results. The first time it said it couldn't complete the two tests, so my wifi may be faulty. The second time it said "Wi-Fi is working well". Tried a third time and got the "Test could not be completed" message again, so I interpret that as confirming that my wifi is "iffy".

Thanks FE. TP-Link was one brand I was thinking of because that's what I connect to at my sister-in-law's house, with good results (I know, different supplier, different location, so not comparing like with like). I see the VR900 has three antennae, which presumably helps a bit compared with my single antenna.

Just one more question -- I'm probably going to upgrade to a fibre connection from my present supplier shortly; will that require a different type of modem/router, or will the end result still be a simple socket that my normal phone and modem connect into (via a filter, of course). I don't want to spend money and then have to get another new one when I go fibre optic.

stlucia2 11:57 06 Dec 2015

wee eddie, you were posting as I was writing. No, I'm not desperate to get a new piece of kit, and I accept that my PC's internet performance is as good as I can expect, given the data provided by the speed checker.

But the tablet seems to be much less responsive than my PC, so it's its connection via the wifi link that seems to be the culprit. Hence my question about whether or not a newer router would help.

spuds 12:21 06 Dec 2015

If you have concerns about speed or local exchanges, then you might find Samknows useful click here

Jollyjohn 12:22 06 Dec 2015

I can recommend this router click here I am currently using one on a fibre connection from Plusnet. I paid £80 from Amazon for mine.

wee eddie 15:07 06 Dec 2015

It would appear that your Tablet and your PC are getting almost exactly the same Download Speed.

So, the fault must lie in the Tablet itself or, your perception of its reaction time.

I have no idea what maintenance you run on your Tablet, or how many Apps/Programs that you have running in the background but I would have thought that this was fertile ground for investigation, before you start spending money on something that may not give you any benefit.

By the way, you still haven't said what speed your ISP is Contracted for!

stlucia2 19:45 06 Dec 2015

I don't know offhand what my contracted internet speed is, probably it's "up to 10MBS" or some such meaningless phrase. But that doesn't matter because I'm fairly happy with my PC's internet performance -- though it would be nice if it were quicker, hence my potential interest in upgrading to a fiber optic line.

I don't understand your statement about my PC and my tablet getting almost exactly the same download speed. The wifi checker app on my table only gave me two "fails" and one "pass" -- it didn't say what the actual speed is, and all I know for sure is subjectively the tablet is much slower than my PC.

I try to keep my tablet as clean as possible, and only have about half a dozen apps in addition to the 30+ that are installed by Google or by Samsung, and can't be removed. I don't know which of them are running at any particular time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Five things you need to know

Marco Oggian's Dreams and Nightmares explores our global anxiety in 2020

Leaked iPhone 12 photos reveal mystery magnets

AirPods : comment résoudre un problème de connexion ?