Wifi windows 8 problem on public wifi

Dwillcock 22:50 07 Sep 2015

My laptop picks up the wifi at cafes etc, but asks for the network security key instead of password. My tablet and phone connect fine and just get asked for the password, never the network security key (the staff at cafe only know the password).

Govan1x 09:27 08 Sep 2015

If it is an older laptop and the Cafes etc are using a 5Ghz connection the laptop will not work what you need is a new Wireless card that can use 5ghz not sure if a modern wireless dongle will help you out but you would need one that can use the 5ghz connection.

Someone on here maybe able to suggest a good one for you.

Govan1x 09:52 08 Sep 2015

This from PCA is worth a read.

Click here

Dwillcock 10:10 08 Sep 2015

Brand new Asus laptop! Old one (Toshiba running Windows 7) works fine on wifi. There is some setting that is preventing it working normally like the other devices. It asks for Network Security Key - NOT the password.

Govan1x 11:31 08 Sep 2015

Have you tried updating the driver for it. Must be doubt full if brand new.

Have you checked device manager following the PCA Click here. What Wireless card do you use. Mine says I can use 5ghz or 2.4 Ghz but looking further into it I find it does not support 5Ghz.

In device manager mine says 2.4 only and I cannot change that. Maybe you can change yours.

See if anyone else comes up with a solution as I know nothing about Wireless cards only know how to sort it out on my router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Best Monitor Calibrators

Powerbeats Pro review

Les bons plans sport (2019)