Wifi Sniffer - Signal Strengh ?

Winxx 16:45 10 May 2007

Hi, i was wondering if there is a free program that will scan for wireless hotspots and tell me signal strengh as i move my laptop, so i know the best place in my house to get the strongest connection possible...

Technotiger 16:48 10 May 2007

Hi, don't know of a program, but there is a small pocket gadget that will show you when you are in range of a wifi hotspot, with three green leds to give an indication of signal strength.

click here

Winxx 16:55 10 May 2007

Thanks but i have already come across this, and i don't have money to spend so... If anybody who knows of some software that detects signal strengh, please post!

Dipso 16:58 10 May 2007

Your laptop should do this anyway if it's wireless enabled.

There is software available for free but are you attempting to use someone elses connection?

Winxx 17:04 10 May 2007

My laptop does do this but it is very difficult to tell signal strengh with it, no im attempting to connect to my downstairs wireless connection, i prefer to have my laptop in my room, so i would like to find the best spot.

If you could provide a link to the software i'd be eternally grateful Dipso :)

Dipso 17:05 10 May 2007

Not sure if it will help but click here

Winxx 17:12 10 May 2007

bjh 18:06 10 May 2007

Windows Zero Configuration gives a clumsy power rating - Excellent, Very Good.... No Signal....

There should also be a utility that is hardware-specific to your laptop but it isn't always there with all lappies). Most of these do give a good signal strength reading, often as a %, or details of signal strength and signal-t0-noise ratio.

WiFi is sometimes strongly directional, so a poor signal can turn into an excellent signal over a very short distance.

Netstumbler does indeed give signal strength.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)