WiFi Guru - advice if possible.

[email protected] 13:42 28 Jun 2005

Bought the cards, read the instructions, did the job, it doesnt work! I have read the threads on this subject and conclude if it works - it's pimps to do. If it doesnt work - it becomes very in depth!! OK, dented confidence but willing to learn.
Situation: Modem/router in lounge for TV/Tel, PC in office for work/Internet. PC runs XP SP2.
As ex-mil comms it would appear easy. A tx/rx card is placed in the modem/router and a tx/rx card is placed in the PC. Give them both the same name, freq and code and they speak to each other, right...uhh no, wrong. With a distance of less than 1m [the modem is next to the PC for convenience at the moment] they still dont speak. So what CAN be/go wrong?
I have removed the PCI card from PC1 to spare PC in the same room, to check it - still nothing.
Indications: the little green LED on the modem card, named "LINK", glows permanently. I have to assume then it's transmitting it's ID?
The green LED on the PCI card [see thread yesterday] doesnt glow at all [it was monitored when installed in spare PC]. Do I assume from this the PC card is not searching when "Search" is selected? [I am still waiting for a reply from the manufacturer support on just what this LED should tell me]. I have read/re-read the instructions and trawled several sites/FAQ on the subject but gained nothing except perhaps more confusion and knowledge that I shouldnt really need.
The SSID of the modem card is set at "Any" so I used that as the name of my link - or should it be set at "USR WLAN" which is the title popped by the mouse when it is hovered over the icon down by the clock? [Could it be called Eric or Susan if you wished?].
When setting up the modem card [which came from my ISP as it is specific to the modem] I chose a 26 character code and have used copy/pasting in order to get it right. This is WEP but is it 124bit?
Both cards are set to the same channel [the channel which the modem card chose automatically during set-up].
If I open the PCI card utility icon, its status says it is scanning [at this point I would normally expect to see some LED activity, but none]. Nothing gets detected :-(
Device manager tells me the card is working as it should - and I have no more hair to pull out.
My suspicion is the card isnt really functioning fully because of no LED indication, so, as per the manual I will un-install the PCI card and repeat the installation. Briefly, does that just mean physically removing it, booting, putting it back, booting and let Windows find it - or does all the software have to be taken out too?
Note: I am on broadband permanent net and using USB lead to use the net at the moment. For installing/checking/swearing etc, I remove the USB lead.

John-259217 17:02 28 Jun 2005

Last question first - uninstalling requires the driver/software to be removed first, the computer shut down and the PCI card physically removed.

Depending on the software in question you may need to first remove the application using control panel/add remove programs then go to device manager and uninstall the card.

Initial set-up is usually easier with WEP/WPA and any other security functions ("disable broadcast SSID" for example)turned off or not selected as it reduces the scope for problems.

SSID can be Eric, Susan or Montazumasrevenge if you like as long as all stations have exactly the same one. The use of "Any" allows most WiFi kit to latch on to all signals whatever SSID is being used.

I`d expect the led to at least flicker at some point when the computer boots but without having tried your particular card it`s hard to be certain. I have a Linksys card lying around which I just tried in a non-Windows system. The led glowed green from power-on despite no drivers or available network but that doesn`t mean your card will do the same.

If you post the exact makes/models of the wireless hardware you have I`ll have a look at the manuals and see if I can help.

[email protected] 17:47 28 Jun 2005

Hi m73john. Thanks for being a lighthouse in a sea of wifi uncertainty ;-)
OK. As I mentioned, the card for the modem came from the ISP as they stated quite clearly no other card would work [no reason for me not to believe that - why buy a different one then find it doesnt work].
The PCA card is a US Robotics Model 5416. I have emailed them [no reply yet] about the LED.
Thanks for the advice about the re-installation - I will try this later this evening. My gut feeling is it's something to do with configuration but I would be really pleased to see some LED activity.
I will disable the security for the next attempt - thanks for that also.
Cheers for now and thanks again for trying to help.;

woodchip 17:51 28 Jun 2005

If you have fitted Wireless cards then you have to disable all onboard Ethernet connections in Device manager before it will look at the cards

If you have fitted Wireless cards then you have to disable all onboard Ethernet connections in Device manager before it will look at the cards

woodchip 17:55 28 Jun 2005

Sorry about that I only pressed the refrech button it's PCA that's on the go slow and acting up

[email protected] 17:58 28 Jun 2005

No problem woodchip, woodchip, woodchip, woodchip.
What you say makes a whole lotta sense. I will do that too. Cheers.

[email protected] 20:40 28 Jun 2005

Hi woodchip. Just came in from the garden [bbq and perhaps too many glasses of red wine...] and reluctant to do anything serious until tomorrow, but I had a quick look in Dev Man and couldnt find any ref to Ethernet connections! What should I be looking for?

woodchip 21:25 28 Jun 2005

Under Network Adapters

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?